Fuse #8

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

A planet in a Windy City

Sometimes it seems to me that it would be unspeakably cool to live in Chicago. You have the new Millennium Park. You have multiple art museums, the Michigan Mile, and a lake that thinks it's an ocean. You would, admittedly, have to deal with constant articles and fans of Blue Balliett but it would still be worth it. Why? Because of kooky krazy places like the Planet Esme Bookroom. It's not a bookstore. It's not a public library. It's an entirely independent little entity created and run by author Esme Raji Codell. Codell brings in authors to speak, has fairy godmother fashion contests, workshops, the whole kerschmozzle. It gets better too. Go to her website, turn down the volume, and watch her video review of the month. I guess you don't actually have to turn down the volume, but I've found it to be a lot more fun that way. There's something about watching an authorial hipster pulling magic wands out of thin air that's inherantly amusing. I watched this video on mute with the teen librarians of NYPL's Teen Central and it was a hoot. Two thumbs way way up.

4 Comments:

At 11:57 AM , Blogger Stephanie Ford said...

That is hilarious. That clip just made my day! Thanks for sharing. I want to go to Chicago just to meet her!

 
At 4:28 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Yup. I just wish she had a blog or something. She does review for Amazon and I suggested that she could become my Amazon Friend but she didn't take me up on the offer. *sniffle sniffle snuck*

 
At 1:07 PM , Blogger Bkbuds said...

Cool site! Makes me wish I'd given "Hanukkah Shmanukkah" a better review.

 
At 3:45 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Naw. It shouldn't, really. I mean, she's a nice gal and everyone acknowledges that her non-fiction is well done. Almost everyone I've talked to, however, agrees that her fiction needs some work. You are not alone.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home