Fuse #8

Monday, May 08, 2006

Got Books? Like Hurling?

As a reviewer of children's books, I often end up with a surplus of Advanced Readers Copies. Aside from handing these out to book-hungry teachers (which I usually do) there's not much a person can really do with an ARC. You cannot sell them. You cannot eat them. Why not participate in the booklympics then? Events thus far include:
  • Book Hurling• Mass Market Paperback Division.• Octavo Hardcover Division.wherein from a standing start a hurler must pitch a book as far as possible horizontally. the distance covered is measured from the standing point to the point where the book first hits the ground.
  • Book Curling• Mass Market Paperback Division.• Octavo Hardcover Division.wherein from a standing start a curler must pitch a book horizontally - in a manner that the 'slide' of the book is as long as possible. the distance covered is measured from the point where the book first hits the ground to the point where it stops.
  • Book Stacking• Mass Market Paperback Division.• Octavo Hardcover Division.wherein a stacker makes a vertical SINGULAR column of books as high as possible. Winners will be judged by total unsupported HEIGHT not number of volumes, but each volume must adhere to the booklympics specs. A two book wide horizontal base is allowed.

Worth considering, anyway.

5 Comments:

At 5:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Trade!

Trade them!

How about sending some to your hungry readers...

I'll gather a list of ARCs I have (and reccommend) and see if I can interest you.

KT

 
At 7:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and #8,

Is there any way to list your reviews on your blog site in a sidebar? That way if I was curious about a title, I could check and see if you had read it...

Just a thought.

KT

 
At 9:34 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Well for a while I was disturbed by the fact that I couldn't apparently search my blog either. I thought that maybe I could find some sort of makeshift search engine to attach in some way. Then I noticed that thingy at the top of the screen. See that bar at the top of the screen above my banner? The one that says "Search This Blog"? It's awesome. If you want to figure out if I've reviewed something, just type in the title. It comes up lickety-split and is a delightful method by which to find reviews. I'd rather not put them on the sidebar if only because my sidebar is a bit crunched as it is.

And of course I would never willingly participate in the booklympics. Most of my ARCs at the moment have a place to go. The extras, as I mentioned, go to book hungry teachers. Hungry little teachers.

 
At 2:40 PM , Blogger Louise said...

You could always "release your books into the wild" with Book Crossing. More info here: http://www.bookcrossing.com/

I haven't used this, though a few friends of mine have tried it. Basically people register books they`ve read and don`t need anymore with the site stating where they will leave them and then "release" them into the wild. Someone who is interested in reading the book picks it up.

I like the concept of strangers being able to trade books though. Not sure if rules with advance copies would prevent it, though...

 
At 1:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say hey!

I'll try that little bar ar the top.

Thanks!

KT

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home