Fuse #8

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

"Inconceivable!", Raves the Tiny Unimportant Blogger

I review for School Library Journal quite regularly (they keep sending me books, for some reason) and though the quality has taken a slight upturn as of late, I'm not above sending some poor author into the pits of I-hated-it hell. To the best of my knowledge, these negative reviews have never been selectively blurbed. "What is selective blurbishment?", you may ask (assuming, of course, that you think "blurbishment" is a word). A recent New York Times theater piece sums it up perfectly.

Of course, I've never actually picked up a book I disliked after writing its review. For all I know there's some pitiful soul out there meticulously reconstructing my heartfelt detestation of multiple badly written books.

Thanks to Critical Mass for the link.

3 Comments:

At 6:57 PM , Blogger web said...

I've been selectively blurbed, but never in a very interesting way (that I know of); just judicious use of elipses.

 
At 7:15 PM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

"Selective blurbing" is the sort of sport with which MAD magazine did with panache back in its heyday.

 
At 10:09 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Ooh! Nice point. It's the Mad Magazining of the world sans irony.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home