Fuse #8

Monday, June 19, 2006

Step Right Up! Step Right Up! Test Your Skills!

Librarians like myself apparently have so little to do that they search endlessly for quizzes, games, and other bits of kiddie lit trivia with which to train their little brains. For the record, the children's literature portion of Trivial Pursuit:Book Lover's Edition is incredibly difficult. Definitely give it a whirl if you've a chance.

Thanks to the mechanations of Those Who Are Cleverer Than I (i.e. my boss) I found First Lines. It's pretty much what it sounds like. Some of these are not children's, granted, and some most definitely are. With the exception of things like Swiss Family Robinson and Shane I didn't do too badly. My favorite category? Periods are for Sissies (though I admit that I mistook their meaning, at first).

Fifty points if you can name the book that goes with this one (no peeking):
The first place that I can well remember was a large pleasant meadow with a
pond of clear water in it.

10 Comments:

At 2:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How fun! I knew quite a few, though not the one that you quoted. I agree that "Periods are for Sissies" is pretty funnny.

 
At 3:08 PM , Blogger bookstore girl said...

Black Stallion?

 
At 3:08 PM , Blogger bookstore girl said...

Oops, I meant Black Beauty!

 
At 3:44 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I received Trivial Pursuit: Book Lover's Edition as a gift and decided to break it during a dinner party.

End of party. It was no fun because it is so extremely difficult.

I haven't brought out the box since. They should rename it: Trivial Pursuit: Live in the Library Edition.

Pooja

 
At 4:31 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

It's not even that. That particular Trivial Pursuit requires an intense knowledge of paperback books. I've two or three friends who do particularly well at it for this reason. Far better to just randomly read out questions during a party rather than play it with friends. It's intense, to say the least.

Did you try the children's questions, tho? Lotsa fun.

And I always get Black Stallion and Black Beauty mixed up too. That may come from not having read either of 'em.

 
At 4:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did best in the classics and children's literature categories, and even then, probably only got 20% of the questions I was asked correct. It *is* fun, but also makes me feel like I haven't read anything and that I should move into the closest library, which, in my case, would be The Donnell Central Children's Room!

Pooja

 
At 4:57 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

We'd be lucky to have you.
You could have the room next to Pooh. To the best of my knowledge he does not snore. Much.

 
At 5:48 PM , Blogger Becky said...

I know that one because not only was I horse-crazy little girl, but now I'm raising one too.

One of my favorite kidlit first lines has always been, "I write this sitting in the kitchen sink."

 
At 4:48 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

I was seriously hoping someone would answer where that line is from. I can't. I give in, Becky. What's it from?

 
At 6:59 PM , Blogger web said...

It's from _I Capture the Castle_ by Dodie Smith.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home