Fuse #8

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

You Must Have Been a Beautiful Babymouse

Previously I declared author/illustrator Brian Selznick to be the Nicest Guy In the World. Now I'm going to have to rethink the title. Not because Brian is any less nice. He's a peach. A doll. But I just met an author/illustrator who has made a serious effort to usurp Brian's Nice Guy throne. I don't suppose any of you are familiar with a little thing called Babymouse? Written by Jennifer Holm and penned by her brother Matthew Holm the books are on the New York Public Library's Summer Reading List and we literally cannot keep them on our shelves. We've tried, but they fly off with a shocking frequency. Well, just last week who should stop by and see me at my Reference Desk? You got it. Mr. Holm himself. He was with his charming, adorable editor (who wrote down her name on a piece of paper currently unavailable to me at this time). And what did they bring to me me me?

CUPCAKES!!!

Sweet, delicious, hot pink, self-referential (if you've read the books) cupcakes. This picture is a touch misleading. When I initially opened the box it was full of yummy squishy cupcakes. By the time I got my camera they had been devoured by perpetually cupcake-hungry librarians. This is true.

But was that all he brought? Oh no, sir. No no no. Mr. Holm also presented me with this:

A SIGNED BABYMOUSE PRINT

Look at that beautiful thing. He framed it just for us. Framed it! And it's for the library. I was absolutely thrilled to death. But wait! There's more!

ITEMS: ONE BABYMOUSE HEARTBREAKER GALLEY

ONE FRAMED BABYMOUSE PICTURE JUST FOR ME

ONE CUPCAKE (MENTIONED BEFORE)


I was, suffice it to say, blown away. I'd mentioned Babymouse on my NPR gig thing, so I guess this was his way of saying thank you. But man oh man, it was out of this world. So the new Nicest Guy In the World? Matthew Holm. I kid you not. Now go read Babymouse.

9 Comments:

At 1:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn it. I knew this moment would come. I don't know this "Matthew Holm" but I know his sister and she's told me stories about him that would make your hair stand on end. Sure, I have no cupcakes, no framed prints, no signed galleys...so what do I have? Um...well...I have...a dollar! Yes, a dollar that I am completely prepared to give to Ms. Fuse...although now that you mention it I did want to get a bag of Doritos, so that would leave around twenty five cents...ok then! I've got twenty five cents for Ms. Fuse. I'm going to give you that twenty five cents! Oh, actually I need to make a quick phone call.
Hey, Ms. Fuse, can you give me Matthew's phone number? I'm in the mood for a cup cake.

The second nicest guy in the world (?)
Brian

 
At 4:47 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Hm. This is a delicate situation. We shall have to pronounce it a tie in some way. Pending, of course, on a framed picture of Joey Pigza for my desk. I mean it, Brian. That cover of "Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key" is crying to be in my children's collection.

I love, by the way, the archaic 25 cent phone call reference. Sublime.

Man. I could really go for a cupcake right now. Oh, Maaaathew!

 
At 4:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait a second. What year is it? Isn't it 1992? Aren't phone calls still twenty five cents? Hold on, let me check my calender...
Wow. Look at that. I better get out more often.

 
At 5:02 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

I like your version of the world better, though. A 25 cent phone call. That was the life, wasn't it? Now I'm worrying about how much a bag of Doritos would actually cost...

 
At 12:49 AM , Blogger Tarie Sabido said...

I know this is kinda out of the topic but... Now I really want some pink cupcakes!!! You lucky duck!

 
At 9:06 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

Aren't they (the Holms) the best? I'm telling you...their goodwill (and good books) is going to go a long way. I treasure my signed sketch.

 
At 3:10 PM , Blogger Greg Pincus said...

I don't like to get involved in political battles, but if one is talking about "the world" as in "the nicest guy therein," I would like to vouch for Mr. Selznick. Out here in LA, Brian once gave me a quarter to go buy myself a cup of coffee. Mind you, this was a year or two ago and he probably thought it was 1948 and that the quarter would be useful, but I added in my own 3 bucks and had a great latte. The point is that if "the world" is bigger than YOUR world, until I get pinkly frosted cupcakes, there's no question here. Of course, it's your blog, so it's your choice about boundaries.

Now, I'm off to make some baked goods. Ya know, assuming you can accept packages at work....

 
At 7:40 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Packages always accepted. I'll erect a big "Nicest Guys In the World" sign there, on which I'll list everyone who gives me cupcakes or salmon (not together). And since I personally feel that the term "guys" is gender neutral, gals are more than welcome to compete for the list.

I like my cupcakes chocolate and with good quality frosting on top. Extra points if they spell out my name.

 
At 1:07 AM , Blogger Little Willow said...

What loveliness.

Or, in less poetic but more ecstatic terms:

ROCK ON.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home