Fuse #8

Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Top 25 American Children's Books Written In the Last 25 Years

Don't never let nobody say I ain't democratic.

Though I'm sure all of you have forgotten that I was going to do this, I present to you the official blogger-compiled, librarian-enthused, children' literature-espied Top 25 American Children's Books Written In the Last 25 Years. Each list is organized according to its popularity and how people voted. There were some surprises (what the heck is The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear?) and some disappointments on my part (I'm not seeing the Donuthead love here, people). But in the end, this is how the cards lay. And, for those titles that had to be cut, this was sometimes due to the fact that they were older than 25 years (Ox-Cart Man). I decided also that as long as a title was originally published in America, it didn't matter if the author was born the U.S. or not. Such are the privilages of running one's own blog. Bon appetit!

25 Best Picture Books
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems
Lilly's Purple Plastic Purse by Kevin Henkes
Click Clack Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin
Goodnight Gorilla by Peggy Rathman
Black and White by David Macaulay
Polar Express by Chris Van Allsburg
Zen Shorts by Jon J. Muth
Tuesday by David Weisner
The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear by Don Wood
My Friend Rabbit - Eric Rohmann
Stinky Cheese Man - Jon Scieszka/Lane Smith
Roxaboxen by Alice McLerran
Miss Rumphius by Barbara Cooney
Show Way by Jacqueline Woodson
More, More, More Said The Baby by Vera B. Williams
Duck on a Bike by David Shannon
Owl Babies by Martin Waddell
Starry Messenger by Peter Sis
Imogene's Antler's by David Small
Wilfrid Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox
Sheep in a Jeep by Nancy Shaw
Officer Buckle and Gloria by Peggy Rathmann
Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems
St.George and the Dragon by Margaret Hodges
Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Bill Martin Jr.

25 Best Works of Fiction
Ramona Quimby Age 8 by Beverly Cleary
Holes by Louis Sachar
The Giver by Lois Lowry
Because of Winn Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
The Watsons Go to Birmingham by Christopher Paul Curtis
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Maniac Magee by Jerry Spinelli
Sorcery and Cecilia by Patricia C. Wrede and Caroline Stevermer
Donuthead by Susan Stauffacher
The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo
A Single Shard by Linda Sue Park
Birchbark House by Louise Erdrich
Walk Two Moons by Sharon Creech
Goose Girl by Shannon Hale
Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman
The View from Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg
When Zachary Beaver Came to Town by Kimberly Willis Holt
A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck
Pictures from Hollis Woods by Patricia Reilly Giff
The Agony of Alice by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey
Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary

7 Comments:

At 12:50 AM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

Now, is this point where we start to fight about the books on the list? I disagree fiercely with some of them, and bemoan the lack of some of my favorite titles. Yes, I know, I know, I didn't vote, but I'm raising a fuss anyway.

Fuss, fuss, fuss.

 
At 9:23 AM , Blogger Andromeda Jazmon said...

I have to link this one. You did a great job. Of course there are always other good ones that could be on a list. But let someone else make that list, right?

 
At 11:19 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Oh I disagree with a lot of them too. Don't get me wrong. This isn't the list I would make if I had Complete and Utter List-Making Power. But I think it's far more interesting to see what vast numbers of people think should be on a list rather than individuals.

I think I'll do this once a year and watch how the list changes. Should be interesting that way. Any you particularly object to in principle?

 
At 11:46 AM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

What about proposing the list every six months? A year is a long, long time on the internet. One of the good things about such a list is that it helps dig into the recesses of long-term memory.

 
At 3:26 PM , Blogger Becky said...

Great work, Fuse, thanks! Yes, we could have each made an individual list (my very own would have been Oh So Very Different lol), but it's nice to see how it all shakes out with others' contributions.

 
At 1:31 PM , Blogger Little Willow said...

Thanks for creating the list and getting input from so many people.

You must read The Little Mouse, the Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear! Read it now! It's funny, it's pretty, and IT BREAKS THE FOURTH WALL! Sorry, I got a little overexcited there because it's my personal favorite picture book. But I digress.

:)

 
At 2:31 PM , Blogger Bkbuds said...

I just saw this. Thanks for compiling it. I think a yearly list would be cool, but don't fret. However often you do it, there will be people who gripe about what is/isn't included.

I think I will compile my own list of picture books that go best with chocolate.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home