Fuse #8

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Not That I Don't Love Spongebob Too

I'm not one for panel series. Seems to me they tend to overprice themselves and I just end up talking with the participants at ALA meetings anyway half the time. But this one... this one is different. This one I have an active interest in.

Best opening line for a panel ever? It's Spongebob's world and we're just living in it. I can dig it, man.
This panel, the second in a series organized by New York Women in Film and Television (NYWIFT), will explore the evolution of children's media - from wholesome to edgy - and look at what's in store in the future. Participants will ask some tough questions: What happens when the goal posts of taste, wholesomeness and educational value are moved? What are the differences between media created for children and media created for teens and adults? What factor does money play in determining what is suitable entertainment for children?
People of my generation tend to slip into Cranky Old Codger Mode when the subject of children's television programming comes up. "You whippersnappers don't know what it was like. Why in MY day we had Reading Rainbow, The Electric Company, 3-2-1 Contact, GOOD Sesame Street, Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, and a bunch of shows I can't even REMEMBER. You kids today with your crummy corporate shows. Do they even teach sign language on Sesame Street anymore? Huh? Huh? What about kids with Down's Syndrome? How many of those do you get on the show these days?"

I could go on. You see why this panel appeals to me.

The real highlight? I was just discussing with the Kidlit Drink Night attendees that Reading Rainbow may still exist. Now I see that Twila C. Liggett, founder of the show, will be on the panel. I'll ask her.

The whopping great price to attend? $10 if you're a nonmember. I'm there. Let me know if you'll be showing up as well.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:39 PM , Blogger Olugbemisola (Mrs.Pilkington) said...

first time leaving a comment, i think. i'm excited about this one too...oh, those old shows! i am already playing the "remember when" game with noggin -- it was a very different channel back in the day. i worked for the company that produced reading rainbow a few years ago; i think new episodes of the show are coming back next fall "revamped" by a different company.

 
At 2:40 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Really? That thrills me to the core. I hope you're right. I know that Levar Burton had a big Save Reading Rainbow campaign out there, but I never heard how that turned out. Fingers crossed and thanks for commenting!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home