Fuse #8

Friday, April 06, 2007

Poetry Friday - The Collected Works of Susan Ramsey

Bonne Poetry Friday to you. From my most immediate ancestor:

As published in Poetry East, Number Fifty-Three



Amplification

There’s no need to be sentimental. Say the heart
is a lamp burning whale oil or kerosene,
clean, bright enough for needlework or reading.
Not feeble, not dim, but certainly domestic.

Outside the night bulges with dangers, both the prowling,
predatory, coming-to-get-you kind
and the rooted, the lurking, the submerged
waiting to rip the delicate bellies of boats.

And the heart, we’ve said, is a lamp. Then certain people,
particular jigs of the pulse, some speeds of breathing
create around the heart a Fresnel lens,
a system of prisms and mirrors twelve feet high

which reflects, refracts and magnifies that lamp
as it floats frictionless on quicksilver, turning,
dervish repeating, repeating a circuit of joy,
its light now visible eighteen miles out to sea.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 6:31 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that line "And the heart, we’ve said, is a lamp." If each heart was a light house then today the world would've been a better place.

 
At 11:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that this has nothing to do with your current post, but I wanted to let you know you've been given the Thinking Blogger Award. You can read about it here:
http://apatchworkofbooks.blogspot.com/2007/04/thinking-blogger-award.html

Congrats!!

 
At 12:42 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Well, I'll be darned. A Thinking Blogger, eh? I appreciate it. Until now no one mentioned me, which was fine since "regurgitating" and "thinking" are two entirely different beasties, and I tend more towards one than the other.

Thanks! I'll do that meme thingy thing soonish.

 
At 4:33 PM , Blogger Josephine Cameron said...

Ok. I've been racking my brain for weeks because every time you post a Susan Ramsey poem I a)enjoy it immensely, and b)think "where have I heard that name before?"

And today a possible theory hit me...is your Susan Ramsey the Susan Ramsey from the Notre Dame MFA program? Not that I know her, but I graduated from the ND MFA program a few years back. It would be a happy little "what a small world" kind of moment. And if not, ah well, I still like your Susan's poetry a great deal.

Thanks for your blog, by the way. I love stopping by here.

 
At 5:45 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Yep. That's her. She's in the MFA program as we speak. How did you know of her? Is she infamous? Everyone wants their mother to be infamous, y'know. At least I do.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home