Fuse #8

Friday, April 28, 2006

I Am In Shock

Partly because I've been coerced into working the Donnell Reference Desk for an hour. I can hear the simultaneous sound of librarians around the country playing me a sad sad song on the world's smallest violins. Only under the most extraordinary of circumstances do I ever have to work at a library desk where I don't feel... um... adequate. I'm currently living in fear that someone is going to ask me how to buy a home or something. *shudder*

But that is not why I am in shock. I'm in shock because I just witnessed an event that I didn't even know existed. It's also the reason behind my current time at this desk. Apparently every year the Reference Librarians of NYPL put out a list of the best references books of the year. They then celebrate said books with the Best of Reference [your year here] and in doing so perform a bunch of reference-book-related skits. Reference librarians putting on skits. Apparently the quality varies from year to year. I've just sat through six white librarians pretending to be a gospel choir, a rather good take on The Price Is Right, and a completely off-putting method of introducing us to the Encyclopedia of Genocide and Crimes Against Humanity.

I will never complain about anything children's library-related ever again. Dear God, if I can just survive this Reference Desk for the next half an hour I'll gladly handle all the unpleasant children's room activities I'm handed, I swear. Get me outta here!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home