Fuse #8

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Selling One's Bloggable Soul

Y'all may have noticed that I eschew anything on this blog that will make me any money, be it pop-up ads or Amazon.com mentions. This is, apparently, because I fear money. If I get too much of it I'll freak out and do something crazy like pay off my college loans, I guess. This also explains why I am a librarian. A pity I'm not inclined towards making a fast buck since it now looks like companies are seriously interested in getting some product placement into the blogosphere. It's $5 or $10 a post, at least. The crazy part? Nothing stipulates that the bloggers have to keep the deal a secret. The Internet is a vast and peculiar space.

4 Comments:

At 3:20 PM , Blogger Becky said...

Worse are the bloggers who keep the deal a secret and babble on about Chosen Product as if they weren't being paid.

I definitely appreciate the anti-$ focus here. If I had cared more about money I would have stayed in Manhattan and married a Wall Street type instead of marrying a farmer. But he's hot and he keeps the kids in me in books, so what's not to like...

 
At 3:38 PM , Blogger MotherReader said...

You indirectly advertised for pay-per-post, something they would have paid you $10 to do. I went to look at the list of "opportunities," and while I would have to give some a pass (make money in your own home), some are intriguing (color bubble wrap?). In any case, interesting.

 
At 4:16 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Well, I mean, how am I supposed to talk about them without naming them? Yeah, it's a sticky area. Still, that's like not mentioning the Opal Mehta scandal because it'll only sell more of her book. At some point, news and advertising collide and it's difficult to separate the two.

 
At 12:38 AM , Blogger Becky said...

Then again, there's mentioning it because you want to and not because you're being paid to...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home