Fuse #8

Friday, August 11, 2006

So Long, Farewell, & Such & So

Sometimes people wonder how it is that I have so much time to read, review, and blog. It's simple. There are certain advantages to my life that happen to coincide in such a way that I have a great deal of leisure reading time. For example:
  • I have no children. You've no idea how easy this makes things. If I want to sleep till noon on a Sunday and then read from 12 to midnight, I can do that easy-peasy. Thus far my need for munchkins is fulfilled at work.
  • I have no car. This is the real New York advantage. Metro Transit. If I were stuck in an automobile for, let's say, 45 minutes to and from work, that would be valuable time I could be using to read. Short of hiring a valet (hee hee) I can't imagine any way more convenient to reading than my trusty Number 1 train. The fact that almost all my friends live in Brooklyn just makes late night trains an ideal time to catch up on new titles.
  • I have a job that allows me to blog. Not to excess. Just on my lunch breaks and if the Reference Desk is particularly slow.

With all these elements in place it's amazing I don't read more than I do. Unfortunately I keep having this "life" outside of constant reading. Such a bother. And starting today this "life" requires that I travel to Chicago to attend a Quaker wedding. After that I'm doing the week-long vacation thing. I'll still be reading and writing reviews, but I can't guarantee wireless availability. Ah well. I'll be back on Sunday the 20th. Hopefully my daily stats, which are cutting so very close to 300 visits a day, will not plummet too terribly into the abyss of non-blogging. Such are the risks we take when Quakers call.

I shall miss you all very very much. Please don't let anything important happen while I am gone. If Maurice Sendak decides to dance naked atop the Empire State Building, please keep it all very hush hush until I return. I appreciate it.

12 Comments:

At 11:09 AM , Blogger John L said...

Oh well, I guess you can go... The blogosphere will be a lot less fun while you're away. Have a great trip!

 
At 1:46 PM , Blogger MotherReader said...

Thanks for the explaination of how you post so much. I've always been a bit in awe of how you get so much done. I will remain amazed by your long, oh so very long, reviews.

Have a great vacation. Don't worry, we'll be here when you come back.

 
At 2:13 PM , Blogger Greg Pincus said...

Have a great trip. But just for clarification... if Maurice Sendak dances naked anywhere else, can we run with it?

 
At 3:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're still a speedy reader in my estimation.

We're having great weather here in Chicago, so you're sure to have fun.

 
At 9:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boo hoo - life will stand still until you return!

 
At 9:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to add....have fun and enjoy yourself!!!

 
At 12:38 PM , Blogger Little Willow said...

Enjoy your vacation and special events.

 
At 2:11 PM , Blogger bb said...

Enjoy your vacation. Post when you can. And, if you're in Milwaukee, holler! :)

 
At 5:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a great trip! Good luck packing enough books to keep yourself busy. And be grateful that you're not flying back from England (with no carry on books allowed).

 
At 11:34 AM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

Jen: Can this truly be true? I think I'd go mad without a book on a plane.

 
At 12:32 PM , Blogger Michele said...

Just for clarification, flights leaving England are allowing books - a small laptop sized bag is now allowed - but not liquids, except medication and baby food, and the latter has to be tasted in front of an airport official (I don't think that includes breast milk though !)

I share some of your advantages Ms Fuse - no children and a daily commute by public transport. My other great advantage is no TV (well I own it, but I rarely watch, preferring the radio !) These soon add up !

 
At 12:34 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Yeah. TV I own, but until Lost comes back I haven't much to watch at the moment. A little House. A little Daily Show and Colbert Report (which, in New York, means staying up until midnight every night). Only the best for me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home