Fuse #8

Thursday, September 28, 2006

See Me. Hear Me?

Considering that I was born before 1990, I consider myself pretty web-savvy. One little word freaks me out beyond all measure, however. PODCASTS. Booga booga. At first I couldn't even figure out what the heck they were. Then, as I discovered them on other websites, I eased into the idea oh-so-slowly. It's like internet radio? Cool. I can deal with that. But what if... and here I'm talking crazy talk but... what if I did my own podcasts? How cool would that be? You could hear me rant and rave in my very own voice and (shudder gasp) download me onto your iPod. I could conduct interviews with major players and sing loud songs for no apparent reason. Joy!

But I'm not that brave yet. Not by a long stretch of the imagination. Someone who is that brave, however, is the website Just One More Book. Self-described as "A podcast about the children's books we love and why we love them", Mark and Andrea (who aren't particularly inclined to give much in the way of information about themselves) talk about children's books thrice a week. Where do they live? Dunno. Why do they do it? Haven't a clue. And the only authors they've interviewed thus far are E. B. McHenry, Lee Edward Fodi, and Loris Lesynski.

Still, it's an intriguing site and an even better idea. They don't do any books that are particularly new, but they're worth watching.

6 Comments:

At 8:26 AM , Blogger SilberBook-Blog said...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks you should embrace your fears and give VOICE to your already wonderful site. FUSE8 PODCAST sounds good to me.

alan

 
At 9:36 AM , Blogger Andrea -- Just One More Book!! Podcast said...

Hi!

I'm Andrea of JustOneMoreBook. Thanks for mentioning us and especially for listening.

Here is the scoop on us:
- we live in Ottawa, Canada
- we record at our favourite independent neighbourhood coffee shop in the morning after we drop off our children and before we head to our high-tech jobs
- we do it because we LOVE children's books and we think too many fabulous books have been overlooked -- and because we LOVE talking about children's books
- we just started in July so 3 author interviews is pretty darn good for 2 hightech newbies. But just so you know, we have good meaty interviews with Ian Whybrow and Mike Artell queued up, and several authors and illustrator interviews scheduled (we work full time and have 2 children so scheduling interviews is a bit tricky but well worth it!)
- we welcome audio reviews and have a phone number you can leave an audio review on (if you don't have a mic) 206 350 6487. Please send us an audio book review!

Thanks again for listening!

Happy Reading,
Andrea

 
At 12:22 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Wonderful! Ask and you shall receive. And it's Canadian, eh? Looks like our neighbor to the North has beat us soundly in the hi-tech kid-lit department. I'll hold off on bringing my sonorous tones to the greater world, but if anyone else wants to give it a shot you've my full attention.

 
At 3:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks to your blog, we have connected with yet another children's author, Alan Silberberg. What a great way to make a new connection!

Alan contacted us and I am hoping we can arrange an interview with him, as well.

Thanks a million!

Mark
www.JustOneMoreBook.com

 
At 11:19 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Cool. Who else can I recommend to you? Do they have to be Canadian?

 
At 6:12 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Fusenumber8!

We are all about great children's books - particularly those that aren't on the front of publishers' promotional agendas. Please send us any recommendations you feel we should pursue.

Thanks!
Mark

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home