Fuse #8

Monday, November 06, 2006

Respect the Sugar Bowl

Last night I finally got around to finishing Lemony Snicket's The End (a book I could only justify reading if I did one chapter per night before beddy-bye). It was remarkable, but I suspect that a warning label should be placed on the cover that reads something like:

Warning: If you are reading this book AND watching Season 3 of the television show Lost, you may find unaccountable similarities between the two.

Has no one else noticed this?

Anyhoo, I woke up this morning, went to my Educating Alice, and found that Monica Edinger had posted an article entitled Respecting Snicket that is well worth a read. Especially if you are someone who does not "get" the series, as it were. And just for the record, if you are scouting about for a good blog name, Respecting Snicket wouldn't be too shoddy an acquisition.

4 Comments:

At 4:51 PM , Blogger MotherReader said...

Or a good band name.

I'm heading over to give the aritlce a read as I am always asking my 10 year old daughter questions about the books that make her roll her eyes at my adult stupidity.

 
At 11:35 PM , Blogger Nancy said...

Thanks for pointing me thataway. It was a good read.

I'm at a loss with people who don't appreciate Snicket. To me, that's like someone saying they hate The Princess Bride. It takes all kinds, I suppose. :)

 
At 10:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kids have a complaint about the Series, and I agree with them: the "don't read this book" warnings become tedious after a while.

 
At 11:32 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Ah, but those warnings peter away as the books continue. Besides, that's a pretty weak reason not to appreciate Snicket's multi-layered work. I'm still gasping over the apple/snake/guy in a white robe with a long white beard metaphor in the last book.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home