Fuse #8

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

School Library Journal Weighs In

The good people of School Library Journal are offering their very own list of the Best Books of 2006. Here's how they described it all:
Fiction reigned in 2006. On this list of 67 titles, you will find contemporary issues wrapped in emotionally charged, power-packed plots; fresh, original fantasy; unusual coming-of-age novels; gripping historical fiction; and downright funny family stories. Nonfiction included some fascinating introductions to the natural world, unusual treatments of standard topics, and a compelling account of a topic that in less competent hands would be a dust-collecting shelf sitter. The arts made a strong showing, with dazzling introductions to Dizzy Gillespie, Robert Johnson, and Langston Hughes and a stunning graphic novel from a classically trained ballerina. There are fewer picture books on the list this year, but we love the ones that are here. They all have memorable protagonists starring in stories brimming with child appeal.
First and foremost, I was impressed that they kept it at 67. Does this number change every year? And how on earth does a committee of five limit themselves like that?

In any case, a scan of the titles is more than worth your time. Some inclusions made me sad. Some made me ecstatic (FLY BY NIGHT, FLY BY NIGHT, FLY BY NIGHT), and there was more than one exclusion that left me scratching my head. But since I'm on the Newbery you'll simply have to infer where those feelings were placed. I will say, though, that I was happy to find at least 2 graphic novels displayed this year. Happy happy, joy joy.

3 Comments:

At 9:36 AM , Blogger MotherReader said...

Wow! I didn't realize that this was out this soon. I love these lists!

On first look, I have read a lot of them and I suspect some haven't even made it to my library yet. There were a few I would totally kick to the curb (Tulane), and some YEAH! moments (Yellow Star), and I'll have to look again to see what's missing. Though I was surprised that An Abundance of Katherines and King Dork did NOT make the list.

 
At 4:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good article...infomational for sure...looking forward to reading some more posts placed on this topic...will be checking this page again..have saved in favorites and bookmarked...thanks

Seo Directory Web Directory

 
At 4:44 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

Wow ... is it that time of year already?

This was kind of an eclectic list -- did I misread it, or were almost all of the nonfiction biographies?

And where's RULES?

Or NICK AND NORAH'S INFINITE PLAYLIST?

Or WEEDFLOWER?

But, eh . . . you can't please everybody.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home