Fuse #8

Friday, November 10, 2006

You Know What's Overrated? Writing Long Words Like "Not". It Takes Forever!

Because I am over the age of 18, textspeak bugs me to no end. You know what I mean. When it goes beyond the casual LOL and becomes long drawn-out lazy lazy sentences in everyday non-computer related life. So imagine my joy when I heard about this:
New Zealand high school students will be allowed to use text-speak - the second language teenagers have developed for cellphone messages - in exams, according to news reports on Thursday.

Wellington's Dominion Post gave the following examples of text speak in school papers: "We shal fite dem on d beaches" (Sir Winston Churchill) and "2b or nt 2b" (Shakespeare's Hamlet).
I suspect this was a move on the educator's part to show just how "with-it" he is. After all, decoding text-speak is part of the difficulty for the aging cronies amongst us. Ten bucks says that some enterprising teen starts making up their own plausible text-speak and turns it in. Something like, "R4'oing 8-I now?" I'd believe it.

Thanks to Eric Berlin for the link.

3 Comments:

At 2:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Odd. What's more odd is that the quote from Churchill is incorrect. It's "We shall fight on the beaches," not "We shall fight them on the beaches."

 
At 9:02 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Well, as they say in the biz, there you go.

 
At 10:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's hard to believe speed of writing is really the limiting factor in test taking, even on essay questions. And normal abbreviations have always been OK for exams. I think this language is yucky. I don't even like LOL, BTW.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home