Fuse #8

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Consarn It

Okay, the results are in. The literacy stats are counted. They've calculated what top cities are the most literate. Voila!

2006 rank

1 Seattle (1)
2 Minneapolis (2)
3 Tie: Atlanta
Washington, D.C.
(4)
5 St. Paul (10)
6 Pittsburgh (8)
7 Cincinnati (9 tie)
8 Denver (6)
9 San Francisco (11)
10 Portland, Ore.
Source: America's Most Literate Cities 2006

New York didn't seem to make the cut. Pfui. Well, at least Portland made it on the list. I do love me my beautiful Portland. Rather nice of ALA to also time the next conference in the most literate city in America 2 years running, eh? Alkelda must be proud.

By the way, the article that gave me this info comes from USA Today and is just as delightfully trashy as you could hope for from that colorful rag.

8 Comments:

At 11:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only thing that gave me pause was the source of the study: Central Connecticut State University? Hmmm. Okay, I'm a snob, but then again I do live in the 10th most literate city in the US!! (yay Portland!)

 
At 12:20 PM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

I am proud, indeed. It blew me away when I first came to work here and found repeatedly that I had to keep up with my patrons' voracious reading appetites.

 
At 12:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

DC is #3? Really?

But then I went to the article and read:

"It considers several measures in six categories: newspaper circulation, number of bookstores, library resources, periodical publishing resources, educational attainment and Internet resources."

And I can see all of that, except the library resources which I keep hearing about as terrible.
-MotherReader

(I still can't comment with my account. What's going on with beta Blogger.?)

 
At 1:43 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

YES! Go, Pittsburgh! Now, if we can only get our library funding restored as a result of this . . . hmm.

 
At 3:50 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Portland - check
Seattle - check
D.C. - check
Pittsburgh - check

I like this. One representative per town. Can I be New York? And where my Minneapolis peoples at? You guys are number two in literacy and yet you don't even write in? Surely at least one Minnesotan librarian reads this blog. Give it up!

 
At 4:02 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, okay! I'm a Minnesota librarian who is a faithful fuse reader. I live an hour and a half south of Minneapolis. Does that count?

 
At 4:22 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

YESSSS! Totally counts, my friend. Yay, Minnesota! Let's see if we can dig up a St. Paulian as well.

This is now going to my head. Who are we missing? No San Francisco? I'm shocked. It's a beautiful town. Come on, city of love. Show me some.

 
At 10:53 PM , Blogger Jennifer Schultz said...

Too many numbers from this study are old-some library statistics are from 2004. The statistics for New Orleans's newspaper circulation came from March 2005, which was before Katrina (although the Times Picayune has always had a strong circulation record). Some library statistics are from 2002 and 2003.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home