Fuse #8

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Ken Burns Would Be Proud

I suppose the kidmusic bloggers know all about this, but I certainly hadn't a clue before Gail Gauthier brought it up. Check it.
The way Laura Ingalls Wilder used music to help weave her stories of life on the American frontier struck a chord with Dale Cockrell as he and his son read the "Little House" series nearly a decade ago.

Now, the Vanderbilt University professor has his own record label, Pa's Fiddle Recordings, and is in the midst of recording a 10-CD set that brings to life all 126 songs mentioned in Wilder's books.
Nicely done. It gets you to thinking, though. What other children's books include allusions to music that you might want to hear on a CD set? I, for one, wouldn't mind listening to some of the kooky tunes found in the Cheaper By the Dozen books. Things like, "Limehouse Blues", "Stumbling", "Last Night on the Back Porch", and (my favorite), "You've Got to See Mama Every Night or You Can't See Mama at All". Crazy cool, man.

Thanks to Original Content for the link.

4 Comments:

At 9:30 AM , Blogger Jennifer Schultz said...

Perhaps the Anne of Green Gables series. However, I don't know if there are that many songs mentioned. From what I can remember, poetry was more frequently quoted.

 
At 1:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I recently read The New Policeman, and I wished that my ARC had come with a CD of all the music. I would love to have been able to hear the songs that are such an integral part of the story.

 
At 9:36 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

I'd like to see something done with Emmett Otter's Jugband Christmas. There are many, many references to songs in that book, and I've always wondered if they referred to real, actual, folksongs and spirituals, or if the Hobans simply made up the titles for the story.

Actually, one of the things I found a wee bit disappointing about the film version of this story is that the Jim Henson folks didn't write music for all of the songs mentioned in the book (although the ones they do sing are pretty awesome).

 
At 10:22 PM , Blogger Little Willow said...

I'd like to hear Ella from All-of-a-Kind-Family sing.

I'd like to hear Nick's original songs from Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist.

I will always associate "Tootsie" with Fudge-a-Mania.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home