Fuse #8

Monday, March 05, 2007

Vigilante Curating

I saw this somewhere else recently, so I apologize if I'm recycling old information, but there's an excellent posting on ChatRabbit regarding one Mayme Clayton. You may have heard this story before. She was a librarian who collected a remarkable, definitive collection of African-American items. She kept 30,000 of them in her garage. Further proof that she was a librarian? She created an archive for said garage. Now the collection has a permanent home in Culver City, CA and you can view its website here.

Living in a city where hoarding only works if you have high ceiling and can stack things vertically, I've a respect for collectors everywhere. A tip of the hat to a wonderful member of my profession, then.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home