Fuse #8

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Movie Watch: That book everyone had to read in fourth grade

Oh you know the one I mean.

TA DAH!



Walden Media (the good folks who brought us "Holes", "Because of Winn-Dixie", and "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe") are bringing us the book that no one can agree on. Is it too depressing? The greatest story ever told? Well it looks as if Disney's going to pull a "Heavenly Creatures" on us with this one. I'm just happy that Zoe Deschanel's getting work.

2 Comments:

At 4:00 PM , Blogger Dynila said...

Yes, apparently they are 'fleshing out' Terabithia ala CGI. :-(

I remembered this book as being so magical when I was a kid with an amazing make-believe world. Then I re-read it as an adult and realized the amazing world had always been in my head. Disney is making it unnecessary for others to create a world for themselves. Sad.

 
At 10:52 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

I think I understand a little of the logic behind their actions. I mean, the book isn't that long. So when it came to sitting down and writing a 90-some minute screenplay they probably wanted to stretch it out somewhere. In Hollywoodland that means either popping a comic sidekick/additional love interest/wholly unknown villain into the works. OR they could just make Terebithia look real. And if it comes down to moustache twirling villainry or a dog turned into a prince, I'll take the dog anyday.

For a bit of fun, check out the 1985 Wonderworks film of the book. Forgettable? Oh yes. But it did wonders with bad 1985 hair.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home