Fuse #8

Thursday, March 02, 2006

Brundibar - The Musical!



Maurice Sendak, you old trickster. How do you keep getting into the news left and right? First I reported not too long ago that Where the Wild Things Are is getting turned into a full-length feature film (if anyone can name a single picture book that has resulted in a GOOD full-length feature film, I'll send you a cookie). Now you've finagled another showing of Brundibar for public consumption.

Here's what I found odd about the article, though. And I quote:
Based on Aristophanes's Lysistrata, Brundibar was first composed in 1938 by Hans Krasa and Adolf Hoffmeister for a competition being run by the Czechoslovakian Ministry of Education.


Lysistrata??? Really? Really really?
I'm baffled. Can anyone else figure out what the connection is?

1 Comments:

At 7:13 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Well the book hasn't any connection to Lysistrata that I can find. I think you're on the right track with the anti-war idea. But plenty of books and plays have been anti-war. Why on earth did they invoke the dirtiest play of them all? So very very odd...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home