Fuse #8

Friday, March 31, 2006

HEEEY YOU GUUUUUYS!

So the husband and I are watching The Electric Company the other day. Like you do. And it occurs to me that this is a DVD that every forward-thinking library in the country should own and give out. In fact, if I were ruling a library of my very own, I would make very very sure that they had a fine selection of early Sesame Street collections, the aforementioned Electric Company, and The School House Rock DVD. Children's public television programming hit its peak back in the mid-70s to the late 80s. Then Barney came along, proved yet again that mindless entertainment will still sell well, and now its almost impossible to find a modern equivalent of 3-2-1 Contact.

Sorry, I'm ranting. Where was I? Ah yes. So my husband and I are watching The Electric Company and we realize that on that particular show Morgan Freeman was hot. Really hot. We all remember him as Easy Reader, but it went beyond that. As my hubby put it, Freeman is "pure liquid sex" on that show. And yet, he's never kissed a woman or been a romantic lead in ANY film he's been in. Most peculiar.

4 Comments:

At 5:35 PM , Blogger Greg Pincus said...

The odd thing, of course, is that School House Rock was on ABC, not PBS, and was dreamed up by advertising execs (who added in a jazz musician). Not the trio I'd put together to come up with something so fantastic... but go figger.


PS. And what about Naomi????

 
At 7:54 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

A very good point that I should have noted. By the way, I just took a gander at your blog and I'm thrilled. Your encapsulation of "The Giving Tree" (the third limb in the triumverate of mediocrity) is pitch perfect.

Now remind me who Naomi is again....

 
At 12:24 AM , Blogger Greg Pincus said...

Ack! Naomi is from Love of Chair, the Electric Company soap opera. Or rather, "And what about Naomi?" is what was said at the end of each one (which, come to think of it, helps proves my point that kids can get abstract humor).

And do tell, what are the other two limbs of mediocrity? I must know!

 
At 11:46 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

I think I'll have to do a post on the triumverate sometime next week. Nothing like a little I-hate-these-picture-book postings to get the ire up! I'll give you a hint though. The first one wins the "Creepy Mama Of the Century" Award and the second swept the "Cheap Marketing Plus Poor Message" category.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home