Fuse #8

Friday, June 09, 2006

Big Wins For Rowling and Winnie. These Crazy Kids Should Hook-Up.

Interesting. Apparently J.K. Rowling has just become Britain's Greatest Living Writer. Good good. I don't agree, but I like her stuff. Plus it seriously pissed off Bookslut's blog. Bookslut, by and large, hates anything even slightly Harry Potter related, so little news related items like this serve a greater purpose.

In other poll news, Winnie-the-Pooh has been declared England's favourite ( in their wacked-out British spelling) animal character. He just beat Paddington, Baloo, and Rupert (the English like their bears), as well as Black Beauty, Peter Rabbit, Toad (from The Wind In the Willows), and an oddly misspelled Aslan called "Ashlan" in the article. I'd inform Winnie of his win but he's become utterly intolerable lately. Keeps insisting I refer to him as Mr. Saunders, or some such nonsense. Calls me, "The Help" to his friends. And I'm not even gonna go INTO the kind of honey he prefers. Let's just say that if it isn't from a specific county in Vermont, he'll have nothing to do with it. Silly old bear.

6 Comments:

At 1:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know the others, but who is Rupert the bear?

Winnie has longevity in his favour. But my goodness, who would imagine he would get picky about hunny? Wait till he doesn't have any around from Vermont -- he'll give up the pretension and eat whatever's in the cupboard.

 
At 1:32 PM , Blogger MotherReader said...

"The Help," LOL.

 
At 3:25 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

I used to enjoy watching "Whose Line Is It Anyway" in its original British form on Comedy Central, back the day. Sometimes the improv people would have to do a scene in a certain style and one of those styles was, "Rupert Bear's Rhyming Couplets". I can't imagine why Rupert never crossed the ocean to our shores. Perhaps Pooh had his "people" speak with Rupert and convince him that his talents were better used elsewhere. I wouldn't put it past that sneaky sneaky bear. American is HIS territory now!

 
At 4:43 PM , Blogger Becky said...

Since Pooh's peeps on this side of the pond seem to have the initials W.D. I'm not surprised at the thought of some underhanded paw-twisting...

My parents used to bring me that year's Rupert Annual any time they went to London. I still have my collection, along with a stuffed/plush Rupert complete with scarf. My kids really enjoy the comic strip approach...

 
At 4:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of Rowling, though I'm more than willing to give her her due. Just not my cuppa. On the other hand, I may have to figure out a way to like her if she's got bookslut's knickers in a twist. Pretentious twaddle.

Also, Whose Line: briliant television.

I'll stop channeling the BBC now. Though it's hard, between my Brit of a husband and the fact that I just rewatched the BBC version of Middlemarch.

 
At 9:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What keeps our joy pure is that Bookslut has never read HP -- she just dislikes him on principle.

Twit.
Still, the punishment's inherent in the crime.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home