Fuse #8

Thursday, June 22, 2006

A Fuse #8 Production: Official Kiddie-Lit Conferencer?


Perhaps foolishly, I have signed myself up to be one of the Conference Bloggers of the American Library Association's Conference in New Orleans. This is a good PR move on my part, but it does suggest that I shall have to take time to report regularly on the comings and goings of the conference proper. I should note right now that I won't be at the conference until Friday, so if any of you have stopped by for updates, you'll have to wait on it. Nothing exciting will happen before Friday anyway. Also, since this is my first ALA Conference, I'm going to take it slow. Not too many informative sessions involving the term, "Get Excited About". Not too many speakers. Just schmoozing with all the schmoozable abilities at my command.

I feel that I am up to this bloggish challenge (not least because the Conference Center has - HA HA - wireless internet access). With that in mind I have taken a gander at the other library bloggers with an eye towards the competition. The children's literature competition, that is.

As it stands, I'm in the clear. The American Association of School Librarians has a blog, but as of this writing it mostly consists of students saying, "Hi!", in a remarkably perky fashion. I'm familiar with Hockey Librarian and librarygrrrl but I'm not sure how. Neither of them are children's librarians anyway. YALSA has a blog, but they're teenish and I'm kiddish. The two mix only when it comes to middle readers (The Amulet of Samarkand is OURS, dammit!). Quiddle seemed to fit but then I discovered all her references to YALSA. J'accuse!

What are we to conclude from all of this? I hereby proclaim myself the ONLY children's librarian to appear as a Conference Blogger. Ho ho! The power. She rushes to me head. My schedule to follow eventually.

5 Comments:

At 12:02 PM , Blogger mbpbooks said...

You're going to ALA! So am I! I'll be presenting Books Between Cultures: How Stories Help New Americans Find Their Balance at 4:00 p.m. on Saturday, June 24th in the Morial Convention Center (MCC) Room 393:

What are the tensions facing kids growing up between two worlds? How does pop culture push against them? What are the best books for kids caught between two or more cultures? This presentation will inspire you to serve kids who are struggling to feel at home in our communities. Using a personal, engaging slideshow that requires audience participation, author Mitali Perkins shows how a story -- and a caring librarian -- can make a difference.

I'll also be signing on Sunday morning June 25th from 9:00 - 10:00 at the Little Brown Booth (#1150) and at the Random House Booth (#1324) from 10 - 10:30 AM. Stop by and say hi. Of course if you're too busy being the ONLY KID LIT BLOGGING LIBRARIAN IN THE UNIVERSE, I'll totally understand!

Mitali Perkins

 
At 12:15 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Ah. See, I was very careful with my wording. I didn't say I was the only Kid Lit person blogging. I said that I was the only, "children's librarian to appear as a Conference Blogger". I know perfectly well that other kid lit bloggers will be there because we're having dinner together on Friday with special guest star Linda Sue Park.

I'll try to stop by and see your presentation. Failing that, expect me at your booth at some point. Sunday's gonna be a fun day.

 
At 5:36 PM , Blogger mbpbooks said...

I stand corrected. Have a great time on Friday night at the bloggers anonymous meeting. Linda Sue is so awesome that I'm thinking of changing my name to Mitali Sue.

 
At 10:45 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Ooh! I like. Any name is improved by the addition of Sue, I think. Except mine, perhaps. Betsy Sue sounds like someone's favorite cow.

 
At 10:38 PM , Blogger Megan said...

Hi - I'm librarygrrrl here. I'm not sure we've met - drop me an email and we can figure out how we know each other. Hope you're enjoying the conference - I am, although I am T-I-R-E-D.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home