Fuse #8

Monday, July 10, 2006

Dead Dead Deadski

Drawing upon the recent spate of dead Harry Potter speculations, A Chair, a Fireplace, and a Tea Cozy has an interesting post. In it, she calls upon anyone to think of a children's book where the protagonist kicks it at the end. Here are her rules.
  • Must have been originally published for children or young adults; so no Romeo and Juliet.
  • Must be the main character. Beth is not the main character in Little Women.
  • Only one title by Lurlene McDaniel per comment.
  • A character dying of natural causes at the end of his or her natural life span? Doesn't count.
  • A book told from the point of view of an already dead/ dies in first chapter main character? Doesn't count.
  • Only one picture book as bibliotherapy book per comment.

Thought of any? I came up with one. The Magic Circle by Donna Jo Napoli. Check out the below link for others.

9 Comments:

At 2:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire a YA book?

 
At 3:11 PM , Blogger Jackie Parker said...

Ok, so I'm afraid to look at the list for fear that there will be a book I've been meaning to read that will be ruined if I find out the protagonist dies.

 
At 3:24 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. I almost feel like we should exclude all YA titles too. But that's just coming from my own personal knowledge. My YA references ain't what they used to be.

 
At 4:04 PM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

Oh yeah, and there's Rose Blanche, by Roberto Innocenti. It's a non-bibilotherpeutic picture book. And no, I wouldn't read it in preschool storytime!

 
At 5:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco.

(and I don't care if he wasn't the main character, offing the friend at the end of The Golden Compass put me right off the rest of Pullman. Ptui.)

She's not gonna kill Harry. Her hints run a bit wide of the mark. Remember how a "beloved" character was going to die and it turned out to be Cedric? Nice guy, but not MY beloved.

 
At 6:44 PM , Blogger mapletree7 said...

Lois Lowry: The Giver

 
At 8:28 PM , Blogger Liz B said...

One of the reasons I'm also looking at YA is I think that HP the book has moved into the YA range in the past few years.

The Giver: did you see Lowry's recent entry on her blog about this? Before the sequels, I would have agreed, and one of the reasons I loved that book was that it was my belief that they died at the end. However, the sequels proved me wrong. But I interpret the end of the messenger as a death.

 
At 9:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll never forget when my French teacher in highschool forced my brother to finish Le Petit Prince (thats "The Little Prince" to all your non-francophones) because she couldn't control her tears when the prince asked the snake to bite him.

Technically, the prince's soul went back to B6-12, but his body was, as you eloquently put it, deadski.

 
At 11:39 PM , Blogger Melinda R. Cordell said...

How about "The Sight" by David Clements-Davies? The MC dies in the second to last chapter.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home