Fuse #8

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

The Secret of the Melting Clocks

It's that most wonderful time of the month. The time when the Bookseller Blog starts posting its Top Ten Children's Books Sold On eBay In the Month of August. This month we've seen some pretty fancy wheeling dealing on the part of the Hardy Boys, some fairy tales, and (most intriguing to me) a version of Alice In Wonderland illustrated by Dali. I didn't even know this existed, and my library certainly doesn't own a copy. You can see The Pool of Tears to the left here. I knew that Dali had a hand in the Disney animated version of the Alice tales, but never that he'd had his work published in the book of the same name. Just think what he could have done with Oz.

4 Comments:

At 6:26 AM , Blogger Monica Edinger said...

I've seen these both these as beautiful prints (lithos, I think) long ago at a special Carroll exhibit at Christ Church in Oxford and in the book, done I seem to recall, as a limited edition for collectors --- not for kids (for one thing, this Alice has breasts so not exactly eight years old). I'm not a Dali fan, but do love these, especially seeking out the skipping rope Alice in each.

There is a sculpture of the skipping rope Alice at the Paris Dali Museum. You can see a photo of it here (at the bottom of the page): http://www.wiu.edu/users/mxevl/paris/photos.htm

 
At 12:16 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Oh lovely! I just knew that this was one of those things that I, personally, knew nothing about while others (such as yourself) would be fully informed. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that book, either. Very neat stuff.

 
At 5:25 PM , Blogger dot said...

My store sold one of these a while back, and as I was one of the ones involved in packing and shipping it out, of course I had to...you know...make sure it was in proper condition. Went and washed my hands and went through some of the pages. Holey moley. It was big and lush and signed by Dali, and I wouldn't stop talking about it for days.

 
At 6:16 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

*sigh* And so it goes.
Cool Stuff Bookstore Employees Get To See: 1

Cool Stuff Library Employees Get To See: 0

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home