Fuse #8

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Horrible Histories

I've been hearing many an Anglophilic comrade-in-arms mention lately that the fact that the Horrible Histories, Britain's (which is to say Terry Deary's) gift of amusing history to the world, are STILL not as popular in America as they bloody well deserve to be is a crying shame. I wouldn't know. I've never run across a copy of The Groovy Greeks AND the Rotten Romans or The Wicked History of the World. If you're a fan, though, you may wish to check out this article from The Telegraph that describes the series to the uninitiated. I liked this particular tidbit as well:
More exciting still, Deary is in discussion with "a major leisure enterprise" to establish Horrible Histories theme parks – each era housed in a different dome, like the Eden Project. So when children can visit the Terrible Tudors near Stratford or the Rotten Romans at Hadrian's Wall, we shall be having Horrible Holidays, too.
Thanks to my mother for the link.

3 Comments:

At 1:10 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

These books kick a&^ in so many ways.

If you want me to send you one, let me know. I'll pry one out of my daughter's hands with a promise of another trip to England.

They are seriously the best histories for children ever.

 
At 10:17 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

I'm seriously tempted. I'll let you know in 2007 when I've time to give 'em a glance. Thanks for the offer!

 
At 2:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not disagreeing with the Telegraph article or the assertion that HH's are great, but worth pointing out the reason they ran this article was that they were giving away an audiobook of one of the titles with the paper. (nb these bks have been animated for TV also) New HH Pirates and Knights recently released.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home