Fuse #8

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Oh, Thank Heavens. Somebody Gets It Right.

The fistfights that I know would ensue were I to propose that there is only one Christmas film worth your time and effort gives me pause before I say what I'm gonna say. Faint, brief pause. Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas is the best of the best of the best. Apart from my good old buddy old pal Dan, however, few have seen the film or even heard of it. Based on a Russell Hoban book, I do love me my Jim Henson classics.

Imagine my delight then when I saw that darling Cinematical present a piece entitled Christmas With Jim Henson. Number one on the list? You got it. I was simultaneously pleased and disturbed by the fact that I had seen five out of the six Jim Henson Christmassy affairs mentioned. Had you asked me that number before, I'm sure I would have shot very low indeed. A great list in any case.

6 Comments:

At 8:21 AM , Blogger Joyce Moyer Hostetter said...

Elizabeth,

Well, my hubby agrees T-totally! We've been watching Emmett Otter for just years and years. Did you know Emmet and his Ma are even memorialized in the Smithsonian? Or were anyway. I think the building is presently closed for renovations. Joyce

 
At 12:19 PM , Blogger RM1(SS) (ret) said...

Hmmm.... It's really a hard choice between Emmett and Muppet Christmas Carol.

 
At 3:38 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Really?
Fake Kermit the Frog vs. Real Kermit the Frog. You be the judge.

 
At 3:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Light the lamp, not the rat! Light the lamp, not the rat!"

I'm going to see a screening of The Muppet Christmas Carol at the Dryden Theater here in Rochester next week, but Emmet is my first love.

 
At 5:38 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

I think The Muppet Christmas Carol also has the unfair advantage of A) Only having a single version out there and B) It's better known. More readily available for public consumption, for that matter. Off go I then to bug the woman in charge of NYPL's children's DVD purchases...

 
At 6:27 PM , Blogger Brooke said...

I agree with you, Fuse. "Muppet Christmas Carol" has nuttin' on the original Jim Henson.

Here's something interesting: "Emmett Otter" was my hands-down favorite Christmas book as a kid, but I didn't even KNOW about the film version until just a few years ago.

A travesty. I know! But can I say how pleased I was by the level of detail in the movie that was based on the book? The costumes, the sets -- the ice slide that Pa made -- all right from the book!

It's so pleasing to see a film adaptation done right.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home