Fuse #8

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Hot Men of Children's Literature: Part 31 In a Series

Today's HMOCL had the unique honor of sitting behind me on a plane tarmac for what felt like 12 hours (and was probably closer to 5). In visiting the ALA Conference in New Orleans this year, I found that the advantage of flying out of New York's LaGuardia Airport is that you may find yourself surrounded by luminaries. Look! There's Jack Gantos talking to a representative from Candlewick about how truly cool Candlewick is *hint hint hint*. There's Nikki Grimes ahead of me in line as we all remove our shoes for security. There's Margaret Read MacDonald who was just paged by airport security for some unknown reason. And there, lo and behold, is today's HMOCL. As we sat in a hot overstuffed airplane without any food (save two crackers one of the flight attendants was able to slip to the pregnant woman beside me) I spent roughly 94% of that time trying to figure out how to introduce myself to him.

Plan #1: Hello. I like your books. *drolls uncontrollably*
Plan #2: Hello. Nice hair. You're .... HIM, aren't you? Me like Tomas and the Library Lady. Me happy to meet you.
Plan #3: Do you have any crackers I can eat? *holds stomach and groans*

I of course did none of these things. I am a lady, after all. Instead I hunkered down in my seat and never said a single solitary word to him (as is my wont in these kinds of situations).

And so, it is with the greatest of pleasure that I introduce to you the fellow I was too shy to speak to in the first place. . . . .

RAUL COLON

I'm sure that you know his work, but just in case you don't, cast your peepers on these beauties. Mr. Colon hasn't a website of useful information apart from a site that merely sports his contact info. Far better that you merely look to his books, available everywhere. A swell fella indeed. He didn't kick my chair even once.

4 Comments:

At 1:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re the plane ride: since Jack Gantos publishes primarily with FSG, an equally cool and distinguished publisher (as are many others), and furthermore is phenomenally successful, I can't imagine he's hinting anything to the Candlewick rep. Probably just making conversation.

 
At 4:29 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

No no no. He wasn't hinting in the least. SHE was hinting to him. I do not cast doubts upon his honor. Only that she was doing a good job of selling.

 
At 1:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad...next time get up the courage and speak to Raul. He is as friendly and warm as he is talented and handsome.
V. Morgan
Raul Colon's representative

 
At 6:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think that it's a good idea to look for the sexiest men in children literature...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home