Fuse #8

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Palace of Laughter - Creating a Cover

My weakness for a good kidlit cover knows no bounds. So when I chose my top two picks for the Best Covers of the Year in the Golden Fuse Awards, I knew they had to be covers that were faithful to their story, beautiful to the eye, and something a kid would be inclined to pick up. As you may recall, The Palace of Laughter won the top spot and all was well. Imagine my delight then when Brandon Dorman, the artist himself, sent me some initial sketches of that same cover. I present them to you now for your viewing pleasure. These are not the order in which he created them, insofar as I know, but I love how they show how his style changed as the essential elements shifted about. The last one is the final image.


















Check out Mr. Dorman's website if you ever get a chance. There's some beautiful stuff there and quite a few covers you might recognize.

5 Comments:

At 7:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! This is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 12:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Y'see, Betsy? Y'SEE? He was reading your web log all along and I had to go and make that stupid CGI comment!

Now, where is that hole I dug...?

 
At 8:47 PM , Blogger scott e said...

Thank you Betsy for showing Brandon's work. You have great taste!

 
At 11:08 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Dontchu worry none, Ms. Fama. He's sweet as sweet, and undoubtedly didn't mind a jot. And as these sketches show, he does a lot of his work sketching out his images before the computer work comes in. There's nothing quite like watching a process come into focus.

 
At 1:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The process IS fascinating and he's talented. I enjoyed the different studies and attempts he sent you.

I guess I'll crawl out of the hole and shower the dirt out of my hair.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home