Fuse #8

Sunday, March 04, 2007

Video Sunday

We're doing something a little different this bright and shiny Sunday morn. Video Sunday. Basically, I pick a topic and see what kind of videos I can find when I troll through YouTube willy-nilly.

Today's topic: ALICE IN WONDERLAND

To begin with, here's a silent film circa 1903. As you can see, it's fairly self-explanatory.



We follow this up with a 1933 film. And who, might you ask, is the man playing the White Knight in this scene? Might it be the star of High Noon, one Mister Gary Cooper? It just might. I recently saw Gary in the bizarre film Ball of Fire (an adaptation of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs), so I felt this change of venue especially weird.



I've saved the best for last. It's 1983. You are producing a PBS special production of Alice. You cast an oddly old woman in the lead. So who do you give a starring song to? Would you believe a young Nathan Lane?



UPDATE: For an intense encapsulation of fantastic online video clips of Alice, please high-tail it over to Educating Alice where Monica Edinger has compiled a fantastic selection of goodies.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 8:06 AM , Blogger Monica Edinger said...

Why Alice, why, why? See my post of the day to know why. (http://medinger.wordpress.com/2007/03/04/alice-on-film-and-video/)


Monica

 
At 1:01 PM , Blogger Little Willow said...

My favorite film version of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is the 1972 musical.

I posted a video within my Poetry Friday entry two days ago. It too was a YouTube find - a stage version of Alice with Jabberwocky sung full-out!

The Alice in the PBS version you linked to made me shudder. Had she never read the book nor heard of an aside??

 
At 5:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

those creatures look mighty Sendakian, don't they? You know who Alice is, right? Tho she looks old here, the date of this makes her way too young to be playing the role she plays today.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home