Fuse #8

Friday, March 02, 2007

"... it takes more than an abused scrotum to make us blink."

Neil Gaiman dipped his poisoned pen in the well of thoughts circulating about the now sleeping debate surrounding the Lucky scrotum. Recently he reprinted what might be one of the finest comments on the topics.

This librarian?
Bow before her. Now. And then send kisses and flowers to the Seville Community Library of the Medina County District Library System. No one should have to put up with what they went through. Sheltered and protected in my little New York Library bubble I often forget what the librarians of America sometimes have to put up with. This woman deserves chocolate.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:57 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. If I weren't a starving book editor I'd send this librarian flowers, or champagne, or something. I wonder if I could T 8 E it and get away with it?

 
At 2:16 PM , Blogger Patty said...

Thank you for linking to this letter. This type of thing is happening right now in my library and it is gut-wrenching. Read about it here or watch the thing that started it all here (click on the video link just above the text.

 
At 7:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Patty, I agree that this happens all over the country -- even in a "liberal" state like Maryland, where I work.

the picketing of libraries was planned to happen all over the country during that same month. We were told to expect it -- but nobody showed up at our branch. Our books keep disappearing too, though. The public now comes in so much to use our computers that half of them don't even seem to realize they are surrounded by books.
I'm still old fashioned enough to enjoy it when a person spends a long time on a computer searching and not finding the information they need. They're about to walk out the door when I ask them what they were looking for -- and then it takes me 5 minutes to find the information for them in a book.

I once was asked by a Christian homeschooler if Harry Potter fans objected to the library carrying Veggie Tales. (as much as she objected to Harry Potter and other dangerous magical books)
I looked at her in amazement and was pleased to say, "No. In fact, Harry Potter fans LIKE Veggie Tales, too."

- librarian (we are an equal-offensive library)

 
At 8:33 AM , Blogger Julie said...

Thanks for linking to this.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home