Fuse #8

Saturday, March 17, 2007

Callaway Publishing

Recently I was told about Callaway Publishing, a group that I had hitherto never been aware of. Before I came across them I was told that they like to republish children's classics (i.e. books in the public domain) with new illustrators, then wrap them all in a big box and sell them for enormous amounts of money. Sounds hoity-toity, right? They've an edition of The Ugly Duckling coming up so I thought I'd check them out.

Yeah. So. About that hoity-toity assumption? Scratch that.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 1:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fuse,

Is Calloway an imprint of Penguin Putnam?

Katherine

 
At 4:07 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Don't think so. They may have connections to Grosset & Dunlap, but that's as much as I know.

 
At 6:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i can't believe this is the first you've heard of callaway? they also did the madonna picture books and partnered with penguin usa to do so. but they're a completely separate company.

-j

 
At 12:36 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Well... that was sort of my point with the whole "Scratch that" comment. I did not, in fact, know that they did Madonna since I couldn't have cared less who DID do Madonna. I'm amused by the mix of high-end reillustrated "classics" on the one hand and the atrocity of "The English Roses" on the other.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home