Fuse #8

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

"Neither May Cartoons Show Men Who Appear Too Effeminate"

This is fun. As you all know from your film history textbooks (y'all took a course in Intro to Film at some point, right?), with the onslaught of the Hays Code, Hollywood cartoonists were brought under the same restrictions as their live-action brethren. Now a blog by the name of Cartoon Brew has posted selections from a 1939 Look Magazine article that display a wide range of cartoon no-nos. Dog's scrotums be damned. The real threat to today's youth is udders.

Actually, I'm with them on this one. Udders are just icky. Bessie, you better hide your shame.

A very very big thank you to Children's Illustration for the link.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 12:15 AM , Blogger chumly said...

I always thought that Heckle and Jeckle, two cartoon crows in the 50' and 60's I think, were the first gay cartoon characters.

 
At 12:18 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Woah. You totally win the fastest-comment-to-my-blog award. 5 minutes is a record. I bow my head to you.

When did Snagglepuss come out? He was from around that time as well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home