Fuse #8

Monday, April 16, 2007

Children? How Do They Come Into It?

An interesting idea.

For an authorial blog that takes a definite deviation from the norm, I direct your attention today to Brenda Ferber's site. Or rather, the site her children have made for her. Called Blogging for Mom, Brenda's three kids write about their mom and her books. That's filial love of an almost extreme nature. I mean, I love my husband, my parents, and my siblings, but I don't think I'd ever go out of my way to blog for them. Wow. The dedication hits home.

Ms. Ferber is best-known for her 2006 children's novel Julia's Kitchen which won the Sydney Taylor Book Award for Older Readers. The book is well worth noting, if only because it features a contemporary Jewish kid. And as one of my co-workers pointed out to me recently, if you were to look at children's novels for your understanding of the state of the world today, you'd think the Jews were a dying race that ended somewhere around 1945. Modern novels with practicing Jewish characters that are kids? Not exactly common, m'dears.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:09 AM , Blogger Brenda said...

Thanks for the shout out, Fuse! I have to tell you, the blog idea came to my daughter while she was grounded from aim, myspace, and basically anything fun on the computer. She was itching to do something cyber-related, and so she floated the blog idea to me.

She was just as suprised as I was when I said okay. But the truth is, it's something unique. And I'm all for unique. Plus, (proud mother moment) my kids can write!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home