Fuse #8

Saturday, March 25, 2006

The name on everybody's lips is gonna be.... Beatrix

I know you all know about this already. Everyone seems to, but I'd feel like a bad bad children's literature blogger if I didn't mention it as well. As you no doubt know, a Beatrix Potter biopic is in the works. And who shall play the woman who gave us Peter Rabbit? None other than Rene Zellweger. A colleague mentioned to me that Rene's British accent is always top notch, so that's all right. But how are we to take Miss Potter, really? If you happen to get a chance to read The Wand In the Word: Conversations With Writers of Fantasy you'll discover that Diana Wynne Jones was terrorized by Ms. Potter when she was a child. And it's killing me but I have a very clear feeling that another children's writer was yelled at by Beatrix when they were a kid as well. I mentioned this to a colleague. I mean, it's a bit odd. He didn't know who the other author might have been but he pointed out that with England's small population and incredibly prolific number of authors, the odds of terrorizing a kid who will someday grow up to write are actually pretty good. Still, I doubt you'll be seeing THAT scene in the film.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home