Fuse #8

Sunday, July 23, 2006

Animals That Should Get Their Own Children's Books

We've a new feature here at A Fuse #8 Production. What with the relative derth of children's news (and by "derth" I mean "news I'm too lazy to seek out and find when Big A little a does such a fine job already") once in a while we'll turn to those rarely admired creatures of the living world that lack representation in kiddie lit. Earlier this week we admired and coiled in repulsion away from the amazing R.O.U.S. lookalike, the almiqui. Now I've found something even better. Reports on these animals call them the Killer Kangaroo and Duck of Doom. With a title like that, I can already envision the graphic novel...

7 Comments:

At 1:54 PM , Blogger Greg Pincus said...

I've always been kind fond of the Coconut crab. No, it's not all cuddly and lovable (then again, neither is your almiqui), but the idea of running into a crab-like creature while in a tree has gotta be useful to us writer types.

And there's always the underused aardvark!

 
At 6:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't Arthur an aardvark? He used to be a lot more aarvarkian in the original books by Marc Brown, but when tv got ahold of him he, like many in Hollywood, got a nose job.

 
At 7:15 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

I know. It's amazing Hollywood let him keep the glasses. We all know the fate of kid lit characters on the silver screen. Harriet the Spy. Klaus from A Series of Unfortunate Events. Need I say mmore?

 
At 9:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harriet the Spy was without a doubt the WORST-ever movie made from a children's book. The casting was atrocious, starting with Rosie O'Donnell as Ole Golly. And how could they change the setting from New York City to Toronto? New York City was as much a character in the book as Harriet was.

 
At 4:39 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

There has been a dearth, hasn't there!

 
At 9:13 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Dearth, apparently, can be spelled "dearth" and "derth". This makes me feel a little better about my post. I got nervous there for a second.

 
At 9:19 AM , Blogger Kelly said...

Yes, it can, Fuse! I'm sorry to freak you out. I didn't even notice the first time you spelled it differently :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home