Fuse #8

Monday, July 24, 2006

But Will It Play In Peoria?

What makes a classic a classic? One Prof. John Paul Russo, chair of the University of Miami's Classics Department seems to have an answer. Unfortunately the Miami Herald article that discusses the issue had this to say as well:
What about children's literature? Any classics there? Yes, Russo said: Alice in Wonderland, Winnie the Pooh and works by Beatrix Potter. He's sure there will eventually be sci-fi and fantasy classics, but he doesn't think Harry Potter will ever make the grade.
Considering that the books he prefers tend to fall into the Nothing-After-Pooh years, I'm hardly surprised that the fellow poo-poos Harry P. I also love that the very idea of "classic" children's literature would be up for debate.

5 Comments:

At 3:57 PM , Blogger Dan McCoy said...

Almost nothing plays in Peoria, including me, and I was born there.

 
At 6:30 PM , Blogger mapletree7 said...

So.... Alice in Wonderland isn't a fantasy?

 
At 7:58 PM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

I have your moot story!

Correction:
I have three paragraphs of your moot story.

Anne Lamott may write "bird by bird" but I write feather by feather.

 
At 8:50 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

1. I refuse to believe that anyone who was born in Peoria would then go on to live in Eureka and room years later with someone from Kokomo. I refuse, dammit!

2. I suspect Prof. Russo would claim that Alice transcends the realm of simple "fantasy" by deint of its humor and intelligence. If so, he's mad. Mad I tells ya! Mad!

3. Wonderful news re: Moot! I look forward to see the three paragraphs as they emerge.

 
At 10:16 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Probably. They have the same whimsical sense of humor.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home