Fuse #8

Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Blogs Are Going All Fourth Wallish On Us

I've always had a real problem with blogs written entirely in a baby's "voice". You know what I'm talking about. "Mama and dada had to change my diaper early today before they took in some marvelous red snapper with a sage marie sauce at their favorite restaurant Le Beouf". That kind of thing. How much different is it, then, when fictional characters start blogging on their own?

At first I was mildly appalled by Chowder's Dog Blog and all that it suggested. Then it got me to thinking. I like this idea. No, really, I do. This could turn into something really grand. Imagine that a kid has a favorite character from a children's book. Now imagine that that character could literally "talk" to them via a blog. It's like the band Gorillaz, all mixing and melding the real with the unreal. What if J.K. Rowling created a Harry Potter blog in the voice of Harry himself while fans waited for the next book? Or, even better, the Count Olaf blog via Lemony Snicket? Are you listening to me, editors, publishers, and authors? We could have something really big here! Free cupcakes to the first children's chapter book character to blog...... GO!

11 Comments:

At 12:34 PM , Blogger Brad the Gorilla said...

Someday, my Landlady will write a book about me. I'm sure of it. So, can we just assume that this book is a fait accompli? I am a ravenous beast when it comes to cupcakes.

 
At 12:42 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen a number of "character blogs" in the YA lit world. I guess it was only a matter a time before characters in younger books would begin to "blog."

 
At 2:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how Deborah Wiles’ website bio (aka her “life notice) is written by Comfort Snowberger, main character from Wiles’ beautiful, Each Little Bird That Sings. Check it out here: http://www.deborahwiles.com/aboutdeb2.html
-- Paul

 
At 5:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nick and Norah of my possibly favorite YA book of the year have a blog, but Rowling? Noooo! If she spends time on that, she won't be writing the last Harry Potter as fast as we need her too.

 
At 5:21 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://www.randomhouse.com/teens/nickandnorah/blog_norah.html

Nick has one,too. And in the previous entry, please note I didn't mean to type too, I meant to type to.

Make of that what you wish.

 
At 9:01 PM , Blogger Little Willow said...

The only character blog I read is that of Danny Ferrick from The Menagerie series by Christopher Golden and Thomas E. Sniegoski. It's not for kids.

http://the-menagerie.net/blog.htm

 
At 12:51 AM , Blogger The Buried Editor said...

Oh, I've got a crazy author who blogs for one of his characters at this site. Septina, the character in question, occasionally likes to complain about the publishing process and specifically the editor managing her production schedules. I like to respond. We've had little tiffs online to the amusement of my author's blog readers. My favorite is when I told the character she needed to change the name of her book.

 
At 7:48 AM , Blogger alvinaling said...

I just find it all hilarious.
Having a character blog certainly doesn't fit for every book. In this case, Chowder obviously uses the computer, so it works, I think. And he types in correct English--although it would be funny if his whole blog was all woofs and barks. Like Chewbacca's blog.

 
At 4:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want my free cupcakes!

--Septina Nash

 
At 7:53 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Hmmm. Ms. Nash makes a strong case. But is her book a chapter book? Someone go check for me.

 
At 10:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chapters! I knew I forgot something!

Mine's more of a "letter book" since it's written as a bunch of letters. But I should get a consolation prize for that, even if it's not cupcakes.

Anything but bran muffins will do. Thanks!

--Septina Nash

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home