Fuse #8

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Pirate Speak

This Saturday my library is having our final Summer Reading Club celebration from 2-4:30 (to which you are all invited, should you so desire). With that in mind, we are going to make it pirate themed. In preparation I decided to see what piratical goings on I could find online. What I found was Pirate Speak. It's a program that turns all sentences and phrases into their buccaneering equivalents. So, logically, I took some first sentences from children's books and plugged them in. The result:
  • Here be Edward Bear, comin' downstairs now, bump, bump, bump, on th' aft o' his hade, behind Christopher Robin.
  • Thar be nay lake at Camp Green Lake.
  • Way ou' at th' end o' a wee wee town be an old overgrown garden, an' in th' garden be an old house, an' in th' house lived Pippi Longstockin'.
  • "'ere`s Papa goin' wi' that ax?" spake Fern t' th' lass' mother as they be settin' th' table fer breakfast.
  • Mrs. Rachel Lynde lived jus' 'ere th' Avonlea main road dipped down into a wee hollow, fringed wi' alders an' ladies` eardrops an' traversed by a brook that had its source away aft in th' wood o' th' old Cuthbert place; 't be reputed t' be an intricate, headlong brook in its earlier course through them woods, wi' dark secrets o' pool an' cascade; but by th' time 't reached Lynde`s Hollow 't be a quiet, well-conducted wee stream, fer nay e'en a brook could run past Mrs. Rachel Lynde`s door without due regard fer decency an' decorum; 't probably be conscious that Mrs. Rachel be sittin' at th' lass' port hole, keepin' a sharp eye on everythin' that passed, from brooks an' children up, an' that if she noticed anythin' odd or ou' o' place she would nererest until she had ferreted ou' th' whys an' wherefores thereof.
  • 't be a dark an' stormy night.

4 Comments:

At 3:59 PM , Blogger Nancy said...

Fantastic! Oooh I know so many people who are going to love this!

 
At 4:58 PM , Blogger Lisa Yee said...

OMG, OMG, OMG . . . I LOVE it!!!

 
At 11:06 PM , Blogger John L said...

Arrr -- I wish pirates were this big when I was a kid. I LOVED pirates, but good pirate books were few and far between. (My favorite was The Ghost in the Noonday Sun.)

 
At 9:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You forgot to include "Arrr!"

(And I too bemoan the lack of good pirate books when I was a kid. Tthough I did find most of the ones that existed. In the fiction department, TREASURE ISLAND remains my favorite, with some of the best villains in all fiction.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home