Fuse #8

Monday, September 18, 2006

There Once Was a Man From Nantucket...

I don't know what I'd do without Big A little a. Consistently well-written/regularly updated blogs are a rare treat, and somehow or other Kelly Herold is able to maintain her steady shipment of interesting kiddie lit news throughout each and every week-end.

So as I do every Monday morning I will steal my first news posting of the day from her. It's no excuse but I caught a bit of e. coli from a bag of spinach this week-end and my tummy is still in the recovery phase. That'll larn me to eat my leafy greens.

Today we learn the following: "Poetry Foundation to Name First Children's Poet Laureate; $25,000 Lifetime Achievement Award Honors Poetry Written for Children."

The wry side of me wonders if the fact that Donald Hall's appointment as Poet Laureate had any hand in this. I mean, he did write Ox-Cart Man. Then again, from what I have heard of the man, he doesn't sound the sort to speak out for your average children's poets.

6 Comments:

At 1:03 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

At least you're an honest thief, Fuse :) And always welcome to it!

Did you really get e.coli? I hope you're feeling better.

 
At 1:24 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Well, that's what we figure. I have a large bag of raw spinach that I usually like to eat with my prociutto sandwiches everyday for lunch. Saturday night I went to a friend's house to watch a wonderfully bad 80's movie (Xanadu ROCKS!!!) and on the subway ride home became horribly ill. I spent the better part of Sunday recovering and this morning my husband propped the suspicious looking spinach up on his computer so that I could give it the third degree. It's not talking at the moment, but with a little prodding I'm sure I can get it to confess.

 
At 1:31 PM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

I often suspected that vegetables were bad for you. Too bad spinach is the culprit. It would be a lot easier to avoid raw green peppers or brussel sprouts.

 
At 2:13 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

Oh, man, that stinks...but Xanadu rocks. I saw it in the theater back when I was a roller skatin' queen myself. See what you missed in the 80s?

 
At 3:11 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

It was amazing. About the moment it became this animated dream sequence I was completely sold. Gene Kelly could still hoof it too. So enjoyably awful.

 
At 9:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm really sorry you got sick. You should report it to your doctor at least, even though you're feeling better, for public health reasons. NY isn't on the list of affected states (though CT is), and maybe it should be. Continued recovery!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home