Fuse #8

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Where My Pija Lindenbaum Peoples At?

Those of you who know me know that I harbor an unnatural love for that beloved weird-ass picture book Else-Marie and Her Seven Little Daddies (shown in the original Swedish to the right here). It gained a teensy bit of fame when Chris Barton posted a bit on his blog about how popular it was with his own child. Now, however, the book is truly beginning to come into its own. Each month the Bulletin For the Center of Children's Books focuses on a new author or illustrator. Sometimes they're well-known. Sometimes they're obscure. And sometimes THEY'RE PIJA LINDENBAUM, AUTHOR OF ELSE-MARIE AND HER SEVEN LITTLE DADDIES!!

This is a good start but, my children, I shall not rest until Hollywood itself acknowledges the classic that is this book and, as it has done with so many picture books before now, turns it into a film classic. If I might be so bold as to suggest it, I think the daddies should all be played by a young Gene Wilder. It's not like we don't have the technology, people.

A great big thank you to Gregory K for sending me this link.

5 Comments:

At 9:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey There!

I've loved this book since coming across it when I worked at DCH! We have her book "Boodil My Dog" at home and it is also spot on. But not nearly as odd!
Karen

 
At 12:33 PM , Blogger Greg Pincus said...

Bridget and the Gray Wolves is also an oddball book, I must say. Not in the surreal way of having seven dads, but there are some beats in it that really kinda make you go "huh?"

Also, I think if Gene Wilder passes, this is the type of role that always goes to Robert DeNiro. He's so good he doesn't even need special effects.

 
At 12:48 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Oh yeah. He looks good in a trenchcoat too, I bet. Plus, who wouldn't want 7 tiny Robert DeNiros (DeNiroes? Deniri?) as their dad?

 
At 3:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was the absolute favorite book of gay/lesbian families in our public library, due to its over-the-top portrayal of the embarrassment many kids feel when they have a non-traditional family structure.

I was sorry to see it go out of print so quickly. I used it a lot in story hours and it was one of those rare picture books that adults enjoyed as much as the kids did. I particularly liked the wedding picture and the birdhouse bit, myself.

And I'd cast Rowan Atkinson in the part of the seven little daddies.

 
At 5:15 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

I'm going to change my vote. You're absolutely right. Rowan Atkinson it is. Except that I've never seen him do tender. Still, I can totally see a kid embarrased by seven small Rowans. Robert Deniro might come across as a little too cool.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home