Fuse #8

Monday, October 23, 2006

A Party It Would Have Been Fun To Attend

. . . and the person who did.
Remember when I told you about the “Fear and Fiction: The Power Of Children’s Books and The Inner Life of The Child” Conference? Had you gone you could have seen, "children’s book authors David Almond, Chris Crutcher, Neil Gaiman, Robie H. Harris, Lois Lowry, Pam Munoz Ryan, Martin Waddell, Mo Willems, and Jacqueline Woodson. Speaking with them will be six child analysts, Judy Yanof (Boston), Karen Gilmore (New York), Alicia Lieberman (San Francisco), Nick Midgley (London), Arietta Slade (New York) and Jenny Stoker (London).Keynote speakers will be Gregory Maguire, author of Wicked, and Stephen Marans, Ph.D., of Yale University Child Study Center, author of Listening to Fear."

Well Monica got to go. Lucky lady.

3 Comments:

At 6:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got to go too and it was absolutely, totally (add intense adjective here) amazing!

I came away stunned. People laughed, cried, and were moved. It was easily one of the best events I've ever gone to. I'm so sorry you didn't get to go.

 
At 6:49 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Ah well. They were charging money to attend and I am just a poor rags-on-her-bones librarian without a penny to my name. *cue the violins*

I hear that Gaiman and David Almond were no shows anyway (not Mr. Almond's fault, tho). Anyone who did attend and can offer some confirmation that there was a woman there who informed Mr. Chris Crutcher that kids today should be reading "Oedipus" is obligated to write about it. Really? Oedipus? You're sure?

 
At 8:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

No. Did she really? I must have scooted out to the restroom. How could I have missed that?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home