Fuse #8

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Peter Pumpkin Eater... He's American All the Way, Baby

Hi, children's librarians. My most beloved constituency, I've a little website for you today. Should a coot come to you and demand to know whether or not "Pop Goes the Weasel" is as suggestive a song as he's always assumed it to be, come on over to this particularly enjoyable Nursery Rhyme website for lyrics, origins, and histories. Skeptical old me, I always like to put such sites through the test of whether or not they say Ring Around the Rosie is a reference to the Black Plague (it ain't). This site says it is BUT they give a little time to the skeptics as well. They dismiss us, of course, but beggers can't be choosers in this business. Worth a gander anyway.

4 Comments:

At 12:39 AM , Blogger Nancy said...

What are the other Ring Around the Rosie theories? I know I've heard others at some point, but I think the plague one just stuck.

 
At 10:06 AM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Sorry, mom. At least they listed it, though. As I said before, I take what I can get.

 
At 10:29 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm . . . interesting. I'm currently reading Heavy Words Lightly Thrown by London librarian Chris Roberts (very funny book as well as informative -- gotta dig anyone who takes their book title from a Smiths song). Anyway, I'm with Christy re wanting more info, references, etc. And Lamisil ads, go away! But thanks for the link, Fuse #8.

 
At 12:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aack! Blinded by the blinking sidebars!

What happened to the verse "Take the keys and lock her up" in London Bridge, or did I make that one up?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home