Fuse #8

Thursday, November 16, 2006

Daily Round-Up

I've too much delicious stuff on my platter today to put into individual postings. As such, let's cram them all into a single piece and let them beat one another over the heads for dominance.

First up, movie stuff. YA movie stuff. Normally I wouldn't deign to touch it with a ten-foot pole but this has indirect ties to this site. When I met John Green at one of the kidlit drink nights, he mentioned his love of the musician Frank Portman and the man's subsequent book King Dork. If I'm not too mistaken, that book has been one of the best beloved YA titles of the year. You know who really liked it? Will Ferrell. So much so that somebody wants to turn it into a film. The coolest part about all this? I TOTALLY beat Bookslut's blog on printing this news. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! First time ever! I owe you one, Kelly.

In the world of what the CBC hath wrought, we see that Cheerios is getting on board with National Children's Book Week.
General Mills is giving away children's books in its annual "Cheerios Spoonfuls of Stories" campaign. The boxes of Cheerios containing books are scheduled to be on shelves from November to sometime this spring.
I'm upset. Not because this is a bad idea, but because I was primed and pumped to make fun of the books Cheerios would think were worthy to include. I expected them to just load up the boxes with those gawdawful Cheerios counting books (yeah... you know the ones I mean). Instead, here's the list of what they're including:

Wiggle by Doreen Cronin, illustrated by Scott Menchin
Olivia...and the Missing Toy written and illustrated by Ian Falconer
The Tiny Seed written and illustrated by Eric Carle
Horace and Morris joined the Chorus (but what about Delores?) by James Howe, illustrated by Amy Walrod
Little Quack's Bedtime by Lauren Thompson, illustrated by Derek Anderson

Crap. Those are great books. I wonder who did the selecting. Thanks to the Powells blog for the link.

From Critical Mass I heard about a contest that isn't a spelling bee, but seems to command the same kind of terror in competing students. For all you folks who studied up on your vocab SATs, observe the awesome power of the National Vocabulary Competition.

I once felt old because I learned that Marc Brown's Arthur books were at least 20 years old. Know who else is 20? Franklin. I certainly didn't see THAT one coming. From Bookninja.

I've saved the best for last, though.
I assume that all of you have read Diary of a Wombat as written by Jackie French and illustrated by Bruce Whatley. If you have not, you're living your life as a lie.
As I was saying, Best Book Ever that one. Yesterday I remembered why it is that I like to look at Australian book bloggers, even though the titles they talk about have little to no connection to their American counterparts. Well, apparently the creator of the Misrule blog was at the launch party for French and Whatley's latest.

A.
Door.
A.
Bull.

Adorable, people! Look at that sweet little cover. How can you resist?
Now, Harper Collins Australia is putting out the book overseas. Might we expect it to cross over to our happy shores as well? Hmmmm? I'm watching you, Harper Collins. You have this book in your possession and I want a piece of it. Gimme!

4 Comments:

At 2:38 AM , Blogger Lisa Yee said...

Thanks for the Will Ferrell report. I'm looking forward to seeing his new movie about the guy who's living literature. Hmmmmm, perhaps my next MC will be named Colin Firth . . .

 
At 11:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cute! :) I love Diary of a Wombat. It was SUCH a hit at Storytime. It has so many great options for interactivity: "Wait . . . what IS he attacking?!" Kids yell out: "A DOORMAT!" -- Little Willow

 
At 11:34 AM , Blogger Jarrett J. Krosoczka said...

If you can't wait for that book about danicng kangaroos, check out Dancing Matilda
illustrated by the brilliant Kelly Murphy - http://kelmurphy.com/dancingmatilda.htm

 
At 12:52 PM , Blogger Becky said...

The kids and I were surprised to see the books in the Cheerios a couple of months ago (also interesting to see that there's a different selection for Canada and the U.S.), and I was really surprised to discover "Zin! Zin! A Violin", which is the one we brought home. Also saw John Lithgow's "Micawber" about the painting squirrel, which I remember from the library as being kind of cute...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home