Fuse #8

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Drink With Me To Days Gone By

So on Monday night the kidlit crew gathered to discuss our occupations, books, stolen cars, etc. in the looks-swank-on-its-website-but-ain't bar Sweet & Vicious. If I was going to be completely and wholly lazy I could lift the Longstockings post on the subject and mention the exact same things that they did. As it was, Longstockings were indeed out in almost full force. Five, count 'em, five were in attendance. If Longstockings and Blue Rose Girls were to rumble, it would have been a slaughter. That's cause only two Blue Rose Girls were in evidence, a fact probably due to the fact that the other BRGs don't live in the city (excuses excuses). Jenny Han, for the record, has fabulous clothes. Seriously, I want that fuzzy shirt she was wearing that day.

Men? Lacking. In evidence, but lacking. One was 50% of the two 2K7ers present. This amount of 2K7ers may sound small (especially when you consider that there are more than 30 members) but I learned just that night that only one lives in NYC proper. So well done there.

All in all, it was an excellent showing.

What did we learn?
We learned that people actually do have their cars stolen in NYC. And for the record, it isn't fun.
We learned that rice pudding done Soho style is tasty but damn odd.
And we learned a little about ourselves. Like, when somebody who doesn't understand the business of publishing asks what you do, just say you're an editor. It cuts through the crap and people have a vague frame of reference for that particular job title. I do it all the time.

"What do you do, Betsy?"
"I'm an editor."
"I thought you were a librarian?"
"Nope. Editor. I edits stuff."
(now suspicious) "What kind of stuff?"
"Um..." (looks at exit.. makes a break for it).

4 Comments:

At 9:17 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you all had a blast. So sorry I missed it. (I was in DC for the weekend, and too exhausted to go out on a Monday night.) Next one, I promise!

 
At 10:07 AM , Blogger Lisa Graff said...

Jenny Han does have fabulous clothes!!!

It was a very fun event, Betsy!

 
At 10:58 AM , Blogger Jenny Han said...

*takes bow for fuzzy shirt.
Betsy Bird, for the record, has fabulous hair. Very Jo March, sassy chic yet in an effortless, Who-me-I'm-not-the-sort-to-even-care-about-hair kind of way.

 
At 12:55 PM , Blogger Lisa Yee said...

Oh, the rice pudding joint! Cheryl Klein and Rachel Griffiths took me there and I partook. Yummy!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home