CCBC 2007 Choices
It's still in its rough form (sans annotations and the like) but the Cooperative Children’s Book Center (CCBC) has put out its CCBC 2007 Choices list. I like how they break the list up into unique categories without a set number of items for each. There were a couple of things on here I was happy to see listed. We all have our pet books that we wish could have gotten more attention.
Things I Was Happy To See:
- Montes, Marisa. Los Gatos Black on Halloween. Illustrated by Yuyi Morales. Henry Holt, 2006. 32 pages (trade 0-8050-7429-5, $16.95)
- Allen, Thomas B. Harriet Tubman, Secret Agent: How Daring Slaves and Free Blacks Spied for the Union During the Civil War. Illustrated by Carla Bauer. National Geographic, 2006. 191 pages (trade 0-7922-7889-5, $16.95; lib. 0-7922-7890-9, $25.90
- Thimmesh, Catherine. Team Moon: How 400,000 People Landed Apollo 11 on the Moon. Houghton Mifflin, 2006. 80 pages (trade 0-618-50757-4), $19.95
- Brown, Calef. Flamingos on the Roof. Houghton Mifflin, 2006. 64 pages (trade 0-618-56298-2, $16.00)
- Lawson, JonArno. The Man in the Moon-Fixer’s Mask. Illustrated by Sherwin Tjia. U.S. edition: Wordsong / Boyds Mills, 2006. 79 pages (trade 1-932425-82-9, $14.95)
- Rex, Adam. Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich. Harcourt, 2006. 40 pages (trade 0-15-205766-8, $16.00)
- Grey, Mini. The Adventures of the Dish and the Spoon. Alfred A. Knopf, 2006. 32 pages (trade 0-375-83691-8, $16.95; lib. 0-375-93691-2, $18.99)
- Smith, Linda. Mrs. Crump’s Cat. Illustrated by David Roberts. HarperCollins, 2006. 32 pages (trade 0-06-028302-5, $15.99; lib. 0-06-443551-2, $16.89)
- Han, Jenny. Shug. Simon & Schuster, 2006. 248 pages (trade 1-4169-0942-7, $14.95)
- Jenkins, Emily. Toys Go Out: Being the Adventures of a Knowledgeable Stingray, a Toughy Little Buffalo, and Someone Called Plastic. Illustrated by Paul O. Zelinsky. Schwartz & Wade Books / Random House, 2006. 116 pages (trade 0-375-83604-7, $16.95; lib. 0-375-93604-1, $18.99)
- Lin, Grace. The Year of the Dog. Little, Brown, 2006. 134 pages (trade 0-316-06000-3, $14.99)
- Schlitz, Laura Amy. A Drowned Maiden’s Hair: A Melodrama. Candlewick Press, 2006. 389 pages (trade 0-7636-2930-8, $15.99)
- Springer, Nancy. The Case of the Missing Marquess: An Enola Holmes Mystery. Sleuth / Philomel, 2006.
216 pages (trade 0-399-24304-6, $10.99)
- Wulf, Linda Press. The Night of the Burning: Devorah’s Story. Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 2006. 210 pages (trade 0-374-36419-2, $16.00)
- Where's Kathleen Krull's bio on Isaac Newton? Oh fine. I've heard your complaints about the lack of Endnotes or citations. Pfui. I liked the book just fine.
- The Book of Everything by Guus Kuijer? No list that includes both children and teen titles should forget this amazing little number.
- To Dance by Siena Siegel? Other graphic novels made the list. So why not one of the best?
- When You Were Small by Sara O'Leary? Actually, I'm not surprised. Everyone forgets this book. It may be the best picture book of 2006, but somehow it keeps falling through the cracks. The curse of small publishers, I guess.
- Not a Box by Antoinette Portis? The surprise hit of 2006. No library should be without it.
- And, of course, the Best Book of 2006 - Fly By Night. Nowhere to be seen. *sniffle*
CCBC Choices 2007 will be available at the CCBC after March 3, 2007.
Thanks to Cynsations for the link.