Fuse #8

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Other Blogger Notes

Yesterday I watched Bridge to Terabithia and The Lives of Others in quick succession. Literally one hour passed between the two. In that state of .... severe mental confusion is the only term that comes to mind, I was not able to write up my Review of the Day (and it's a doozy too) or even scout out much interesting info. So here are just a couple things I saw recently that caught my eye on other blogs as particularly smart/funny.

First up, books you love to hate. Or, rather, the ones you couldn't finish. When Leila Roy saw an article in The Guardian discussing the books your average British reader couldn't get through (check out #2), she opened up the topic and there definitely been some interesting comments. Who knew Francine Green couldn't hold her own?

Your average Pixie Stix Kids posting tends to come in a clump. There won't be anything for a week or so, and then suddenly you'll find yourself inundated with intelligent conversation. The most recent piece of interest? A trendwatch on emerging graphic forms for children. The hypothesis is thrown out that the graphic-centered book is a trend. Which is to say, it may go away. I think it is not a trend. Feel free to discuss. (UPDATE: Oh my God, she wrote even more information on the topic! I feel exhausted just looking at it).

Now I'm always delighted when editors take the time to give some advice to their authorial charges. Cheryl Klein is one of the best, so her recent piece Slush Pile Saturday, Ms. K offers her thoughts on, "The number one problem in novel submissions," poor first chapters, and the importance of killer last lines.

Speaking of advice, here's some from another sector entirely. I'm always terrible when it comes to promoting the latest publication of the online kidlit webzine The Edge of the Forest. Well, it's out now (go, shoo) and MotherReader's Pam Coughlan has a great piece in it entitled Be a B-List Blogger. If you have ever wondered how to increase stats on your kidlit blog, this piece may help.

Sometimes we're so smothered in snark that we have a hard time appreciating the "nice". And I'm talking actual "nice" here. Not ooey-gooey saccharine-filled "nice". So there's this new thing at 7-Imp that they're trying out where every week-end people will, "gather and discuss what Beautiful and/or Kick-Ass Things Happened to You or That You Read or That You Noticed This Week." Sounds good. It'd be cool if there were a blog program that could waver between a blog and a wiki whenever the mood struck you. Technology not having progressed quite so far, this will do in the interim.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 3:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kristen from pixie stix here...

It isn't so much that I think that graphic media for kids is a trend that will go away, (I actually think the opposite is true), but I DO think, like with anything the publishers perceive as a profitable trend, they will over publish, and we'll see the bad with the good for awhile. As I said in the post previous to the one mentioned above, the amount of times the words "graphic novel" are coming up in the publishing press is giving me pause. Buzz=hype.

I'm really excited about all of the great stuff that's being published, and I encourage everyone to check it out.

Thanks, as always for being such a good conduit for cool ideas and info.

-Kristen
pixie stix kids pix

 
At 10:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Fuse.

One of your former HMOCL is interviewed at our site today; plus, you can see him holding my disembodied head.

 
At 12:24 PM , Blogger MotherReader said...

Thanks for the promotion of my article. Your blog is held up as a stellar example of a rise to fame, naturally.

I'd stay to say more, but I've got to see what jules could possibly mean by "disembodied head."

 
At 2:50 PM , Blogger Okie said...

Thanks for your great reviews.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home