Fuse #8

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Friggin' Teef

People joke about bronzed baby shoes. The idea that your tot is so precious that even this brief reminder of their teensy-tiny status is worth holding on to for years to come. Bronzed baby shoes are funny, but you know what their problem is? They just ain't creepy enough.

Enter the carving of your children's milk teeth into fairies. No lie. Send off the kid's teeth (what're you gonna do with them for the years they still believe in The Tooth Fairy anyway?) and get back your own pint-sized Icarus. Artist Cordelia Cembrowicz didn't exactly expect this kind of a response when she carved her own wisdom teeth into a bunch of foul-mouthed fairies (her words, not mine), but she's willing to oblige.

To me, teeth are the only visual part of our skeleton. Dream books always tell you to associate the appearance of teeth in your nocturnal visions with death (dream books also tell you to associate everything aside from a guy in a hood carrying a scythe with death). So maybe I'm not seeing the adequate "awww" factor here. Interesting stuff anyway.

Thanks to Strollerderby for the link.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 12:25 PM , Blogger web said...

My son just lost his first tooth and we were wondering what to do with it. I jokingly suggested we bronze it. Obviously I'm not thinking big enough.

 
At 4:33 PM , Blogger Talk to the Bronze Shoe Guy said...

Interesting idea. But if you'd like to do the "non-creepy" traditional bronzing of anything baby (shoes, teeth, pacifiers, bottles), I think I can help.

www.abcbronze.com

 
At 7:31 PM , Blogger fusenumber8 said...

Ha ha! I love it. No, I don't think bronzing is creepy, don't worry. A little.... permanent, but not creepy. That's why I said the carved fairy teeth were for people who didn't think bronzing was a creepy "enough" activity.

I love that you have a username of "talk to the bronze shoe guy". I'm frantically trying to figure out if there's something in my home I need to bronze (and fast).

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home