Fuse #8

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

48-Hour Book Challenge on the Horizon

If you weren't around last year you might have missed the fact that the MotherReader blog enjoys hosting a yearly 48-Hour Book Challenge. Here are the details as she states them.
So the chosen weekend is June 8–10, 2007.

Here are the basic guidelines to start. I am open to suggestions if you’ve got them, or ask me questions so I can establish a related rule. Here goes:

1. The weekend is June 8–10, 2007. Read and blog for any 48-hour period within the Friday-to-Monday-morning window. Start no sooner than 7:00 a.m. on Friday the eighth and end no later than 7:00 a.m. Monday. So, go from 7:00 p.m. Friday to 7:00 p.m. on Sunday... or maybe 7:00 a.m. Saturday to 7:00 a.m. Monday works better for you. But the 48 hours do need to be in a row.

2. The books should be about fifth-grade level and up. Adult books are fine, especially if any adult book bloggers want to play. If you are generally a picture book blogger, consider this a good time to get caught up on all those wonderful books you’ve been hearing about. No graphic novels. I’m not trying to discriminate, I’m just trying to make sure that the number of books and page counts mean the same thing to everyone.

3. It’s your call as to how much you want to put into it. If you want to skip sleep and showers to do this, go for it (but don’t stand next to me). If you want to be a bit more laid back, fine. But you have to put something into it or it’s not a challenge.

4. The length of the reviews are not an issue. You can write a sentence, paragraph, or a full-length review.

5. For promotion/solidarity purposes, let your readers know when you are starting the challenge with a specific entry on that day. When you write your final summary on Monday, let that be the last thing you write that day, so for one day, we’ll all be on the same page, so to speak.

6. Your final summary needs to clearly include the number of books read, the approximate hours you spent reading/reviewing, and any other comments you want to make on the experience. It needs to be posted no later than noon on Monday, June 11.

7. Sign up in today’s comments. You’re welcome to post the challenge on your site to catch the bloggers that come your way but don’t come mine. Point them to today’s post to sign up. On Friday, June 8, I’ll have a starting-line post where you can sign in to say you’re officially starting the challenge.

I’ll work on some prizes for most books read, most hours spent, and most pages read (if it isn’t the same winner as most books read). Last year I allowed an alternate, personal goal challenge, but this year the logistics of that might kill me. If you want to play along, but not really do the Challenge, that’s fine, but no prizes. I’ll have a 48 Hour Book Challenge Solidarity Post to list your personal weekend book challenges.
The truth of the matter is that I've grown so bloated and lazy in the last year that I don't think I'm capable of reading quickly anymore. I've been alternating between the newest Kiki Strike and Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides for about a week now with scant progress being made to either. So I will probably not be participating myself. For those of you with kidlit blogs desiring fame, fortune, and fabulous prizes, however, this is a chance for publicity. Last year's winner was Midwestern Lonestar and the challenge went so well that School Library Journal even did a piece on it. Go to it, my pretties. I'll just sit here, eat my chocolates, and grow plump on the fat of the land.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9:53 AM , Blogger Chris said...

You have the newest Kiki Strike? You have it at work of course. Hmm, I could get to the library by train in about 2 1/2 hours, pretend to be a patron, subtly loiter until I figure out which is your desk....Ok, this afternoon if you happen to see a middle aged woman in black hanging around you should just ignore her. I am SURE she does not have any nefarious plans..... Trust me.

 
At 6:35 PM , Blogger MotherReader said...

Come on, we all know you can do it. Chant with me people: FUSE 8, FUSE 8, FUSE 8, FUSE 8, FUSE 8, FUSE 8!!!

Thanks for the entry. This years going to be a blast. I signed you up to sent Winnie the Pooh to the winner's house as a prize, so that should be fun.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home