Fuse #8

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Blogging Time and Changes Are Ah-Foot

Just a great great post on author Robin Brande's website on the vacuum that is blogging and how it has a nasty tendency to eat away at your soul. How authors blog and write at the same time is a delicious mystery to me. The comments from fellow bloggers are certainly worth reading in and of themselves and something MotherReader mentions got to me. The time-suck that is blogging is essentially a second job. A second job that does not pay. And for the moment, no one in the kidlit circle is getting paid, right? Outside of the publisher blogs, of course. If we did, would that mean that we were selling out? If something's a labor of love rather than a paycheck, is it more legitimate or on par?

Just thinking out loud.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 9:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Betsy, some people do get paid through ads and bookstore commissions. The ClubMom bloggers are paid. And maintaining a blog is now a part of some folks' job requirements, so those people are compensated, too.

So far, however, neither Ronzoni nor Barrilla has offered to foot the bill for Chicken Spaghetti.

 
At 9:32 AM , Blogger Laura said...

See? THIS is why I'm afraid to start blogging! I can NOT have a desk like Robin's. Can NOT.

 
At 10:57 AM , Blogger Sarah Louise said...

Thanks for the link!

and Laura, if you CAN NOT have a desk like Robin's, blogging won't change that. It's those of us that can sort of live in the middle of a mess that have a problem. It's just not a priority for me, the clean desk thing.

 
At 11:38 AM , Blogger Robin Brande said...

Um, y'all? I did clean my desk after that photo I posted. You can stop shaming me now.

 
At 12:43 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

Poor Robin :)

Paid or not, Betsy, I'd still argue that a kidlit blog is a labor of love.

P.S. Not paid.

 
At 12:57 PM , Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

My mom's boyfriend thinks that my blogging is a waste of my talents. I know that, coming from him, that's a compliment, but still, I think he wishes I got monetary compensation. Little does he know that I could easily be bought for a couple of freshly-baked rhubarb pies.

 
At 3:58 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely got to be in love with it to do it, 'cause there's no money coming in at ALL. That doesn't mean there aren't days when I consider chucking it all, but then (and I've said this before) something really nice happens -- someone thanks you for a review; someone argues with you over an opinion, which is, yes, a great thing; someone enjoys an interview; an author you admire emails you; etc. -- and it's all worthwhile again.

 
At 7:54 PM , Blogger Sara O'Leary said...

If I could afford it, I would happily pay you for doing your blog. I don't check in regularly but always enjoy it when I do.
Sara

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home